Help with climate control, tortoise growth and eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snickersbec

5 Year Member
I would really be lost if I had not found this forum. I am a beginner leopard tortoise owner and need help. My two leos are approx five months, I cannot seem to keep the climate in the enclosure correct. When I have the correct humidity the temps are to low, correct temps humidity to low. I have a CHE and a spot bulb. When the basking area is 100° the cold end is only 75° with humidity at 80%. When I raise the basking 110° to 115° the cold end will be in the lower 80s with humidity approx 56%. Enclosure is 2' by 4' and its 90%
enclosed. The next problem is it doesn't seem like they are growing one is 3" the other 2 1/2". I still need a gram scale to check weight gain and will be getting that today. I feed them spring mix and greens. I offer zoo med soaked pellets they refuse to eat it. Ocassionally I give them cactus pads. Every other day I sprinkle calcium with D3 on their food and they eat about 1/3 of what they normally eat. They had problems opening their eyes, it seemed like the lids stuck together. Extra soaks helped them open there eyes, but as soon as they took a nap BOOM stuck again. I took them to the vet who had me buy vitamin A gel caps, pierce cap with needle, walla instant eye dropper, one drop in each eye every day for a week and once a week thereafter. Now the eye issue was before I found the forum, so was the dry living conditions causing the eye problem? I tried to attach a picture of the little guys for you to see there condition but it didn't work. I will try later. Oh, I just found a thread about raising them together I need to read sounds like that may be something else I need to address. Best Regards, Becky in Colorado

Snickersbec

5 Year Member
Your tortoises are beautiful!!
I managed one photo with the lid off enclosure I need to sign up with photo bucket to send the rest.
thanks

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Snickersbec said:
Your tortoises are beautiful!!
I managed one photo with the lid off enclosure I need to sign up with photo bucket to send the rest.
thanks

:tort: Thanks! :p

I Like Photo bucket.... use it myself!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Welcome! I like to use tinypic to upload - it is very easy. When you say Spot Bulb, what kind? If you are using a coil-type bulb then it may be hurting their eyes, which is why they are closed so much.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Have you read Toms threads at the bottom of my post? They all will pertain to leopards. Covering the enclosure will help with temps and humidity.

Snickersbec

5 Year Member
IMG_20130213_155247_zps5c6a111b.jpg

IMG_20130213_155057_zpse97f4e53.jpg

IMG_20130213_154915_zpse00ea1ca.jpg

IMG_20130210_161342_zps5718d12e.jpg

Snickersbec

5 Year Member
IMG_20130213_155057_zpse97f4e53.jpg

Thank you everyone for your help. I use a 75 watt non coil bulb and
a CHE 75 watt bulb at night. I have read all three threads plus some,
some more than once. Again thank you, these little guys are very important to me. I will use tiny pics in the future.

Snickersbec

5 Year Member
Snickersbec said:
I would really be lost if I had not found this forum. I am a beginner leopard tortoise owner and need help. My two leos are approx five months, I cannot seem to keep the climate in the enclosure correct. When I have the correct humidity the temps are to low, correct temps humidity to low. I have a CHE and a spot bulb. When the basking area is 100° the cold end is only 75° with humidity at 80%. When I raise the basking 110° to 115° the cold end will be in the lower 80s with humidity approx 56%. Enclosure is 2' by 4' and its 90%
enclosed. The next problem is it doesn't seem like they are growing one is 3" the other 2 1/2". I still need a gram scale to check weight gain and will be getting that today. I feed them spring mix and greens. I offer zoo med soaked pellets they refuse to eat it. Ocassionally I give them cactus pads. Every other day I sprinkle calcium with D3 on their food and they eat about 1/3 of what they normally eat. They had problems opening their eyes, it seemed like the lids stuck together. Extra soaks helped them open there eyes, but as soon as they took a nap BOOM stuck again. I took them to the vet who had me buy vitamin A gel caps, pierce cap with needle, walla instant eye dropper, one drop in each eye every day for a week and once a week thereafter. Now the eye issue was before I found the forum, so was the dry living conditions causing the eye problem? I tried to attach a picture of the little guys for you to see there condition but it didn't work. I will try later. Oh, I just found a thread about raising them together I need to read sounds like that may be something else I need to address. Best Regards, Becky in Colorado

Snickersbec

5 Year Member
Greg T said:
Welcome! I like to use tinypic to upload - it is very easy. When you say Spot Bulb, what kind? If you are using a coil-type bulb then it may be hurting their eyes, which is why they are closed so much.

I use a 75 Watt non coil bulb I bought at petco at night I use a 75 Watt CHE bulb. I will try tiny pic for the photos maybe my setup is wrong and the pictures will show it. Thank You for your help. I am worried about the torts and want to do things correctly.

Snickersbec

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for your help I tried to answer individually but it wouldn't go through I hope everyone gets this.

I use a 75 watt non coil bulb day and a 75 watt che at night. I have read the three threads and then some more than once. I am still doing something wrong I hope the pictures will show something. Thanks again and I know snickers and skittles will be relieved

Status
Not open for further replies.