Help! What is this fluid filled sac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erica anne

5 Year Member
Within the last week I have found a perfectly round "egg" looking sac coming from my tortoise. One was in his feces and one as he was walking. Is is filled with a cloudy fluid. What could this be? I don't see any evidence of worms but am a bit concern. It is about the size and shape of an air soft pellet.

erica anne

5 Year Member
I definitely will the next time it happens. The last one popped before I could get a picture.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Where on the tortoise's body do you see this? From the cloaca? How long does it last, and what happens when you can't see it anymore?

erica anne

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Where on the tortoise's body do you see this? From the cloaca? How long does it last, and what happens when you can't see it anymore?

It is definitely coming from the cloaca. It looks like a small bubble and the first one appeared in his feces and remained intact until I popped it with a toothpick. The second one popped when it hit the grass. It is filled with a milky fluid.

erica anne said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:

It is definitely coming from the cloaca. It looks like a small bubble and the first one appeared in his feces and remained intact until I popped it with a toothpick. The second one popped when it hit the grass. It is filled with a milky fluid.

It is not a solid looking substance like urates and it is in some kind of membrane. Almost like an egg.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
erica anne said:
It is definitely coming from the cloaca. It looks like a small bubble and the first one appeared in his feces and remained intact until I popped it with a toothpick. The second one popped when it hit the grass. It is filled with a milky fluid. It is not a solid looking substance like urates and it is in some kind of membrane. Almost like an egg.

Hmm, I don't know what that is, but it sounds possibly like mucus in the stool, which could be due to diarrhea, parasites, or both. Is he getting the right diet for a sulcata (grasses and forbs)? I hope others with experience in this phenomenon stop by to advise you, too.

erica anne

5 Year Member
His stools seem normal. They are not runny or dry. His diet is mainly grass, dandelions and grassland tortoise food. He gets other "treats" like lettuce and parsley about once a week.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Unless you provide a pic of this membrane, it's really hard to tell. Most milky or white substance turns out to be a very liquidity urates.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Well, perhaps it's parasites then, although I'm not sure which that would be. Looking forward to hearing from other TFO members.

Status
Not open for further replies.