Help!!! prolapse

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
I just came home and went to take all of my babies outside to let them enjoy the sunshine and some grass and my one has this huge bike ulcer that seems to be coming out of its rectum. I just bathed them all this morning for about a half an hour and everybody seemed healthy and fine and this guy even pooped. Any advice on what it is or what I should do to help him?!? It's some kind of liquid filled sac with blood vessels. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421961986.345515.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421962003.892858.jpg

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Supposedly placing it in luke warm sugar water will help it subside, but definitely seek medical attention for it

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Don't let it dry out, keep it moist. I would keep putting him in lukewarm soaks until you get an answer. if you have a local reptile vet nearby take him in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a prolapse. It is very important to keep it wet and don't allow it to dry out. You can try to shrink it by making a sugar paste and putting the paste on the prolapse. The vet will try to push it back inside.

It's pretty unusual for such a young tortoise to prolapse.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Wow. How is your little one doing.? I have never seen anything like that. Did you get to see the vet?

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Wow, is he okay? I hope so! This is nightmarish, saving that link Yvonne posted in case something like this ever happens to any of my torts. :(

MoonRX

Indonesia
I have experienced it back a long time ago..
Mine happened with my indian star tortoises..
I used "bioplacenton gel" 3-4 times daily. By using cotton bud, lubricate thoroughly all over those prolaps..(to give humidity and prevent infection).
Use soft bedding (i used soft mat), and maintain the humidity of ur enclosure.
Give shallow water dish..
check the temperature, dont let it be too hot.
Modify its diet with high fiber, low protein diet.. (dont add calcium for the meantime).
sugar solution can be used, but be aware of ants hazard..

Hope my experience can help u..;):D

Last edited: