Help - tortoise with health issues

Gisela4277

Hello again -

I had recently posted in the enclosure forum trying to get our enclosure set up correctly and I think that whatever we have done to increase the humidity, has caused some harm to our little red-foot. He is not eating, eyes won't open and very lethargic. We thought that with the time change and temperature drop, we needed to get more UV light so we went out and got the heat lamp and UV light this weekend and he is getting worse. We will be calling a vet tomorrow, but hope that some experts here can help.

I have read about the carrot water baths so my husband is going out now to get that and we'll start on two 30 minute soaks a day, to see if that helps.

However, I noticed today the bottom of his shell looks terrible (see picture). I don't know if this is rot or a fungal infection etc. Our humidity was way too high before and now with the heat lamps its way too low, so we're still struggling with that. However - if anyone can help let me know if the shell "infection" is the cause of his issues or secondary and any ideas on how to treat it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all so much.

IMAG0684.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is she'll rot. RF are prone to it. You need high humidity with warm temps 80 and dry top layer of substrate. For now put some athletes foot cream or another anti fungal cream on it and put him on paper towels until it clears up

Gisela4277

Thank you so much for the quick reply - I really appreciate it. I think the high humidity caused it, but probably because the whole substrate was damp - we have cyprus mulch.

Should I remove the substrate altogether for now until it clears up, or put the paper towels on top of the substrate? Also - will the warm water soaks be helpful or more harmful?

Gisela4277

Thank you - treating the shell rot seems pretty straightforward and we will get started on that right away. I guess my biggest concern is that he is dehydrated or ill because his eyes are shut and he's not eating. (The addition of the heat lamp has thrown the humidity in the enclosure way off) So I just want to make sure I can re-hydrate him with warm water soaks and increased humidity without causing more harm - please let me know if that is a bad idea.

Thanks again

Gisela4277

Right now, I have the enclosure on a slight angle downward towards the warmer (basking) side and pour water into the corners of the enclosure every day. With the lamps, I can only cover about 2/3 of the enclosure and the humidity is really low. The issue that caused the shell rot was a leeching terra cotta water dish and fully covered enclosure that was up to 99% humidity. I need a happy medium

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry, but I really don't see any shell rot. It looks to me as if there's a bit of dirt or substrate stuck to the plastron, but maybe a better or another picture might be helpful?

RF tortoises don't need a temperature gradient. Just make sure the overall temperature in the habitat is 80F to 85F degrees, then cover the enclosure to keep the warm, moist air inside. Cypress mulch is usually rough enough that it provides air spaces between the substrate and the tortoise's plastron. This helps against shell rot.

If your baby is ill due to a husbandry problem, I really doubt a vet is going to be able to help you. Do your best to get the enclosure set up properly and the rest should take care of itself. Clean off the plastron, dry it then apply the athlete foot cream. Even if there is no shell rot, the cream won't cause any harm.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use a layer of Orchid bark with another layer of regular potting soil on top.
I pour water into the corners and the bark absorbs the water giving off humidity as it evaporates but leaving the top layer dry.
Redfoot avoid bright lights whenever they can and just don't want or need them. They are also not a basking species. In fact, mine disappear in the afternoon until the sun starts to go down.
What kind of light do you have for heat and UVA. Your issues are all likely stemming from them.
I use an 18" "5.0" strip florescent for UVB and a simple 60 watt incandescent heat lamp bulb as needed. But it's not usually needed here.
You want temperatures of 80-88 in the daytime ( no hotter than 92) and no lower than low 70s at night. humidity of over 80%.
Don't spend $$ on the vet, yet. The correct lighting will cost a couple bucks.
Also. A tip: I buy dollar store athletes foot cream and antibiotic cream that I keep in my tortoise first aid kit. Same active ingredients.

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I'm sorry, but I really don't see any shell rot. It looks to me as if there's a bit of dirt or substrate stuck to the plastron, but maybe a better or another picture might be helpful?

RF tortoises don't need a temperature gradient. Just make sure the overall temperature in the habitat is 80F to 85F degrees, then cover the enclosure to keep the warm, moist air inside. Cypress mulch is usually rough enough that it provides air spaces between the substrate and the tortoise's plastron. This helps against shell rot.

If your baby is ill due to a husbandry problem, I really doubt a vet is going to be able to help you. Do your best to get the enclosure set up properly and the rest should take care of itself. Clean off the plastron, dry it then apply the athlete foot cream. Even if there is no shell rot, the cream won't cause any harm.
How does shell rot look? Would Gisela not know if it was a bit of dirt or something stuck on? just curious.