Help!! tortoise facts needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tania75

5 Year Member
Hi, I am considering buying my first tortoise, I always had one around as a child and have got a fascination for them.
From what I am reading on the internet, I'm getting very mixed opinions about indoor housing and the need for a vivarium. What is the deal with this??
I am thinking of starting off with something simple like a Hermann. Is this simple?? I would generally like a larger tortoise but after reading about how complicated they are to keep. I think it may be better to start off simple. Has anybody got any recomendations??? could you tell me what I would definately need in order to look after the tortoise properly.
Many thanks
Tania

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tania:

733895zl8k1fkhwd.gif

to the forum!!!

You are going to be getting lots of opinions, and you need to keep an open mind and pick what would work for you and your situation. Here's MY opinion:

I believe that tortoises are wild animals and need to be outside. Naturally, there are circumstances when they have to be housed indoors, but if you get a young tortoise and set it up in the house, you need to work towards eventually having that tortoise be an outside animal. Living outdoors just does wonders for the tortoise's mental well-being. Also, they require the sun to make their calcium work. And calcium builds strong bones and shells. To say nothing about how much harder it is to take care of an indoor animal.

Whichever kind of tortoise you finally decide upon, there is a wealth of information here on the forum for you and I'm very glad to have you here with us!

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Yep information on tortoises and tortoise keeping can be full of mixed messages. Compared to the keeping of dogs, cats, horses, ect.., our knowledge of keeping these unique animals in captivity is just in the early stages. Add to the confusion different species need special care and even worse two tortoises can be raised identically and turn out health wise being completely different.

My suggestion is read what you can, ask questions, and weigh the "facts" and comments. Then with your own tortoise go with what sounds like the best way and be prepare to change things you find aren't working for you and your own tortoise.

Back to what kind to get. Ask yourself what size or species of tortoises really catches your eye and heart. If you are wanting a bigger one and settle for a small Russian, your never going to be as fully satisfied with it. You do need to factor into this search what space you have available for it now and in the future, what kind of a diet are you willing to give it (such as do you care if your tortoise is going to want to be feed bugs?), how much money you have to invest into it, do you want to build your own cage, do you want lots of interaction (just remember tortoises are not dogs, interaction with them is different), do you have room outside for it to spend some time? Lots of things to think about, but remember this is a long life time commitment your making. Generally speaking the Russian, Greek, Hermans, and Redfoots get billed as "the best for beginners". Also adults or subadults tend to be easier to care for then youngsters, but a well started youngster also has some major advantages.

Fom your first comments on what your wanting, I would suggest to research the Redfoots especially. Once you pick a species, we can give you better ideas as to what you will need. Take your time and check out our different sections. Ask questions until you feel your satisfied with what you have learned.

Tania75

5 Year Member
Thanks for your help.
I have a large outdoor garden - mostly gravel/ decking and stone. My husband would be able to build a large outdoor pen for the tortoise. Are there breeds that are more friendly/ enjoy more human interaction than others? I like the look of the redfoot. what are the advantages in getting a youngster? I don't mind feeding the tortoise bugs, i'm sure i'll get used to it. I have plenty of space inside the house for an indoor enclosure aswell. I do however have a dog, a rather old golden retriever who is very well behaved and generally just watches other animals without interfering. I don't think having a tortoise would be an issue for her, and I certainly wouldn't plan on leaving them alone together.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I would recommend a tort that is NOT a hatchling. They can be a challenge, picky eaters, susceptible to over heating, etc....

Always be careful of a dog or cat with your tort. They can do lots of damage in a hurry. Most stories we read about on this forum are people who trusted their dog with the tort, sometimes for many years, only to loose it one day!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I have never owned a Hermann so I can't give you my opinion on them, but a Russian tort is a great beginner tort. They are hardy and pretty easy to raise. I also think they are full of spunk and have great personalities! Good Luck!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the forum! The best suggestion I have is to absorb as much information as you can and then make you own opinion. If at all you could have the tort outside full time (even with a heated hut or dog house if needed) it is best. What's your weather like? Where do you live?

I think Russians and Hermanns especially are very personable, but most of them are really that you list. I agree to try and get a tort over 1 year old. Also, Redfoots have a very high humidity requirement. I wouldn't call that something for a beginner but opinions very. The best thing you can do is make sure you research a lot, have the setup and vet ready before you get the tort, and do your best to get a healthy one such as from a breeder who really cares about happy and healthy torts where you can see what his/her adult torts look like. A tort getting a good start in the first year is really vital.

I agree the tort should never be near the dog, no matter how they interact. A tort needs a space to feel safe. It would likely need its own enclosure outdoors and/or indoors, and not be allowed to "wander" around ever.

If you have the space and other means for a large tort, I wouldn't necessarily say they are tougher to keep. You just need to be prepared.

Best wishes! Feel free to let us know what questions you have.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
If you have the room both inside and out and desire a larger tort, I hardily endorse the redfoot. They do need a higher humidity enviornment than the grassland torts but we can help you with that requirement. Checkout www.redfoots.com which will give you very good and straightforward info on these wonderful guys.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tania75 said:
Thanks for your help.
I have a large outdoor garden - mostly gravel/ decking and stone. My husband would be able to build a large outdoor pen for the tortoise. Are there breeds that are more friendly/ enjoy more human interaction than others? I like the look of the redfoot. what are the advantages in getting a youngster? I don't mind feeding the tortoise bugs, i'm sure i'll get used to it. I have plenty of space inside the house for an indoor enclosure aswell. I do however have a dog, a rather old golden retriever who is very well behaved and generally just watches other animals without interfering. I don't think having a tortoise would be an issue for her, and I certainly wouldn't plan on leaving them alone together.

Sounds like your husband is going to be doing some building..lol. Once you have decided on what kind of tortoise you are wanting, it'll give us a better idea as to what he will need to do. Just general thoughts for now...you will need to look closely at where and what kind of gravel you have in your yard. Some tortoises will swallow it and usually it passes ok, but there are those times it doesn't. So you will want to minimize his being able to get into it.

Start looking now at how your yard is set up. What gets shade and what remains always in the sun? Do you have a fence already around your yard? Will the tortoise have a pen inside your yard or roam the entire yard? It's usually best they have a pen inside a secure yard for many reasons and I'll just give you a couple. First you have a dog. The dog not only needs his space away from the tortoise for the tortoise's added protection, but if your dog is getting any treatment that contains Ivermection type ingredients they could kill a tortoise. People will be in the yard and may forget the tortoise is also out there and accidently step on, fall over, or do other things harmful to the tortoise.

Another thing to be looking at your yard now with new tortoise friendly eyes is to see potential trouble areas. Do you use chemicals on your yard? Does your neighbor along the fence line or maybe up hill from you? What plants do you already have? Are they safe if the tortoise eats them? Are there plants with emotional value to you? You may need to move them into a space where the tortoise can't eat them, possibly wiping out the plant.

Back to the golden...and great dogs aren't they? You have an older animal and a wonderful breed, but always always remember that even long term co-existing, "best pals with the tortoise" dogs often turn on the tortoise inflicting serious, even deadly injury on the tortoise. Always prepare for the worse things to happen. Never leave the dog and tortoise alone together.

I had an very elderly rescue collie, who to my knowledge never looked at the turtles/tortoises, nor chewed on anything. Each day she would take a path across our front yard to go visit a neighbors. So twice a day, she made a trip near where we had a small pool under a weeping willow tree. Under that tree we had two very large snapping turtle shells, that I had been given by an in-law who ate snappers. May be sorta gross, but those shells were interesting to look at and I had placed them under the tree. They were there for over a year. Then one day, I looked out and the collie was busy chewing them up. Both shells disappeared in no time. I was just thankful they were only empty shells, but it does show the point.

Once more, if you go with a youngster, try to make sure they are well started. That means simply that they are eating well, active, ect.., The major advantages with a younger animal is it is most likely going to be a CB (captive born) animal. Always nicer if you can buy an animal that hasn't been taken from the wild. Captives also are usually healthier, more people oriented, and some even come with their own hatching baby pictures. With a youngster you can have the added pleasure of watching them grow up and you will then know their health history and what they have eaten (how good their diet was). Buying from a breeder is even better (with the right breeder) because they can give you even more advice and help. With a youngster the downsides include: they do tend to be a little less hardy and if they get sick, they have less ability and body mass to help them survive long enough to get well, you won't know the sex, and often colors/patterns change as they grow.

You also might want to think about adopting an older animal. Often rescues have tortoises, but those are most often the sulcata and Russians, tho others species do turn up.

To the question of personality, yes to some degree different species have more outgoing personalities, however each animal is an individual. A huge amount of personality is dependent upon the relationship you build with the animal and the individual animal itself. All of the species we have recommended tend to be personable.

Tania75

5 Year Member
Hi all, thanks for your continued help!!
I have been to a couple of reptile places today, just asking questions mainly. After imagining the size of redfoot and picturing it in my house in an enclosure and outside - perhaps it is too big. I was maily recommended the horsefield (we don't have to microchip them in the u.K) and the Hermann - which will need microchipping. Although smaller, they may seem better for me. I found a good reputable centre that won't sell a tortoise under the age of 3 years. But i'm going to contact some local breeders aswell.
Dog and tortoise will be kept well away from each other and tortoise will always be kept in a protected environment. Thanks for the gravel comment Jaquie, I will take that into consideration and perhaps make up a seprate run ouside without gravel. My garden should be great really, because I have a small walled border with all the plants behind it and no access for tortoise to munch! Any thoughts on a horsefield? hermann?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Since your in the UK, I would recommend you checking out this site also:

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/site/Welcome.html

They have a great site and would be able to make recommendations on where to look for tortoises and stuff. Just remember you can belong to more then one site...don't want you to think I am trying to get rid of you. :cool:

Glad your looking a round and checking things out. I also like to recommend folks go and actually see hands on what an adult is like any time they are thinking about keeping anything. Reading about sizes, strengths, ect.., just doesn't match the real thing.

Tania75

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Since your in the UK, I would recommend you checking out this site also:

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/site/Welcome.html

They have a great site and would be able to make recommendations on where to look for tortoises and stuff. Just remember you can belong to more then one site...don't want you to think I am trying to get rid of you. :cool:

Glad your looking a round and checking things out. I also like to recommend folks go and actually see hands on what an adult is like any time they are thinking about keeping anything. Reading about sizes, strengths, ect.., just doesn't match the real thing.

thanks for your help, the lady who runs shelledwarriors is very local to me, so thanks for the tip. I know I said initally that i'd like a larger tortoise but after cutting a large piece of paper into a 40cm length semi circle and placing it around my house (I know this sounds bizzarre) I realised that perhaps a redfoot would be too large.
I am seriously thinking about a horsefield, herman or ibera now.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think the paper idea would also be great to plan out an enclosure to see if the tort can fit around the cage furnishings well, etc. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.