New owner hermans tortoise

Karen restell

IMG_1365.JPG Hi I am recently new owner of hermans tortoise his four years old .his name is Sheldon . I am a beginner not had tortoise since a child. I have been reading so much different information will need help

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! *waves* Welcome. What made you decide to get a tortoise?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO Karen and Sheldon from Kent, UK.

Knowledge and understanding about the correct care for tortoises has advanced rapidly in recent years, so you'll probably find a few things have changed.

Species experts on TFO have been kind enough to write up their experience and knowledge, so I'd recommend you reading these for accurate and up-to-date information:)

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hermann's Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Karen restell

Thank you will read these , he lives in varium I put him outside much as possible, will get outside house for spring, he is 4 and always lived in this previous owner didn't have enough time take care of him but he was well looked after and loves attention

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you will read these , he lives in varium I put him outside much as possible, will get outside house for spring, he is 4 and always lived in this previous owner didn't have enough time take care of him but he was well looked after and loves attention
How big is the vivararium Karen?

They're generally too small for anything other than hatchlings.

If you want to post pictures of the viv and the lighting then we can help you perfect it for Sheldon.

Pictures of Sheldon are welcome too... we love pictures:)

Karen restell

If you want to post pictures of the viv and the lighting then we can help you perfect it for Sheldon.

Ok l will take some photos

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would say so. It would be ok for a baby, but much too small for a tortoise of that size. An inexpensive way to house a full grown Hermanni indoors is an old book case with the shelves removed and lined with plastic sheeting. Or you can buy two plastic tubs, cut out opposing ends and put them together.

Karen restell

Apparently he has never hibernated I was told if keep in at certain temperature he wouldn't need to , he loves the sun lamp. If I brought one which one would be best

Karen restell

Pictures on now I am confused

Attachments

• IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Pictures on now I am confused
What are you confused about Karen?

Your enclosure could do with some tweaks to improve things. Please correct me if I have misread anything in the picture.

It looks like you have a basking bulb hung vertically and a tube UVB which is great :)

I can't see the size of your tortoise (Straight Carapace Length measured like this) or guess the floor area of the vivarium, but the links I gave you earlier will tell you that for anything other than babies your tort needs 4'x8' (1.5x2.2 metres) minimum.

Your substrate contains white bits - perlite, vermiculite or calcium bits probably - this isn't good for a tortoise. They're attracted to eating white bits thinking it's calcium and end up eating the substrate too. Eating substrate isn't good as it can cause awful digestive problems including impaction. The substrate needs to be changed for something chemical free without bits; coco coir and orchid bark are the most frequently recommended on TFO which you can buy from a garden store.

The reptile bowls aren't recommended as they're hard for torts to use and they're a tipping hazard. A terracotta plant saucer, sunk level with the substrate, makes a safe and cheap water bowl. A piece of flat rock or slate, or the back of a tile, make a good food plate that's easy to eat from and help with beak maintenance while your tort eats.

Karen restell

What are you confused about Karen?

Your enclosure could do with some tweaks to improve things. Please correct me if I have misread anything in the picture.

It looks like you have a basking bulb hung vertically and a tube UVB which is great :)

I can't see the size of your tortoise (Straight Carapace Length measured like this) or guess the floor area of the vivarium, but the links I gave you earlier will tell you that for anything other than babies your tort needs 4'x8' (1.5x2.2 metres) minimum.

Your substrate contains white bits - perlite, vermiculite or calcium bits probably - this isn't good for a tortoise. They're attracted to eating white bits thinking it's calcium and end up eating the substrate too. Eating substrate isn't good as it can cause awful digestive problems including impaction. The substrate needs to be changed for something chemical free without bits; coco coir and orchid bark are the most frequently recommended on TFO which you can buy from a garden store.

The reptile bowls aren't recommended as they're hard for torts to use and they're a tipping hazard. A terracotta plant saucer, sunk level with the substrate, makes a safe and cheap water bowl. A piece of flat rock or slate, or the back of a tile, make a good food plate that's easy to eat from and help with beak maintenance while your tort eats.
Thank you I will change all this, these was with Sheldon when we brought him , I'll buy all new stuff very welcome of your help