Help to Identify Turtle

Mexico

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
A wonderful man at my job told me I could take home one of his turtles. He always refers to them as "Terrapins", so from a google search, I think she is a 3-Toed Box Turtle, but what do I know.

I can't seem to upload all the pictures, so I'll try my best to describe.

Her shell is about 5" long with white/orange patches across her beak, and no other markings on the face. The coloring around her face could be scars, shes always lived outside and looks to have some damage to one side of her shell, probably from a raccoon or one of the too friendly dogs on the property.

She has an olive shell, with brown and tan mottles throughout. Her plastron is light colored and has a hinged front section. It has 12 distinct sections.

This is all I can think to add, If anyone can help point me toward an identification guide that would be great! I'll be looking around for pictures to see I find anything similar to her, but I thought I would post here to see anyone knows off hand.

I love her and want to take her home, but I'll need to know what she is so I can build an enclosure she can grow in to! Plus, I'm certain box turtles are omnivores and I have been preparing for a herbivorous tortoise.

20170617_085644.jpg 20170617_085702.jpg 20170617_085635.jpg 20170617_085803.jpg 20170617_135628.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He said it was a terrapin, but actually it is "Terrapene" carolina triunguis, a female three toe box turtle, just like Mike said. She's full grown.

shelledfrens

Louisville ky
Three toed box turtle! I had two previously. A male and female. My girl was darker in color, I'd say this one is fairly young.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Agree with the others. She is a beauty. Her care will be different from a tortoise, so please read up all you can. Boxies like and need water to soak in.

Mexico

5 Year Member
Arkansas
Thanks Everyone! I'm going to look into omnivore food options and a wading pool now. Cool Cool:<3: