Help - Russian Tortoises Outside in Hawaii

mushu

Hello! I'm new to the forums and I'm sorry if this question has been answered before, but it's slightly urgent.

I have 2 Russians, one male and one female, ( and I'm not quite sure of the ages because I received them at Petco and you know their reliability level... they even mistakenly told me my female was a male when i first got her..) but they seem to be maybe almost fully grown.

I usually keep them inside, yet I know that the UV rays are good for them. I really want to build an outside cage or at least keep them outside for some periods of time but also be able to leave them alone. One thing I'm worried about, though, is Hawaii's weather. It's very unpredictable, it can go from chilly to hot, and sunny to pouring. I see many owners with cages outside with no top, and I would love that for them but I'm concerned about when it rains, it'll just soak them? and is Hawaii temperature too humid for them? It's currently summer and the hottest we've had is probably 90 degrees F, but it's slowly cooling down. Also, any tips on how to build and where to store Russian cages would be a godsend.

Thanks a bunch!:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First off they should not be housed together. The male will harass the female to illness or death. Russians are very scrappy tortoises. As for building the outdoor enclosure. This is no reason a Russian can't live outside 24/7 in Hawaii. Build where they get lots of sun but also have shade to go into. As for rain, build them a hide they can go into out of the rain but he should it can't get flooded.