Help REQ: Bottom of redfoot's shell is soft

Status
Not open for further replies.

moderndoubt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, florida
We have a 6 month old redfoot and lately we haven't seen him eat. 45 days ago he developed a cold in his eyes and the vet gave us eyedrops and since the cold has cleared up. To the naked eye he hasn't grown and just this weekend we noticed his underside is very soft. Ive attached a picture. The shell is especially soft where the dark marks are. (By the way he's always had a deformation on the bottom of his shell.) Here are some other details:

-Housed in a 3X3 ZooMed Tortoise House with Damp Substrate
-Diet consists of Spring & Herb Mix, Bok Choi, Pea Snow Tips, Mustard Greens, Collard Greens, Kale, Gai Choi and Tong Ho & Wheat Grass grows in a small container inside the housing
-3 Temp areas in housing= 74F, 80F and 90F
-Power Sun w/ UVA, UVB

Any suggestions/ comments?

photo-1.JPGphoto.JPGphoto3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
He is starting to pyramid. More exercise and Bok Choy has little nutritional value for them

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That looks like some shell rot to me.you need to look it up on here so you can help him.emysemys will tell you for sure.redfootsrule can help you pm them .they can lead you to the threads about shell rot.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Well, I just had a RF tragedy, but let me tell you what I do know - mostly via the amazing people here; he needs way more calcium...from what I understand, the spring mix doesn't have much nutritional value. I used a calcium powder, and even soaked him in it, and he'd even drink it. I have other thoughts, but I'd like some of the old-timers here lend you a hand. Is he drinking?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It looks like the start of shell rot to me. Bump up the temps, no lower then 80-85. I would not have him on damp substrate. You need higher humidity, but without damp/wet substrate. Can you get him out into the sun for an hour or two a day? Hopefully someone will come on with more help.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I do not have a redfoot but to me he looks very dry and dehydrated. Has he always looks that dark on the top shell. He reminds me of an old man.The bottom looks like shell rot to me. I personally would take him to a vet to make sure that he is okay. I love my girl and would be divested if there was anything wrong with her. I hope everything goes well and keep us posted.

moderndoubt

5 Year Member
Tampa, florida
He Does not eat that everyday. I rotate what veggies I'm eating just to keep things interesting for him.
You say Exercise? How would I do that? He's walks around a bit. It's pretty cold here or I would let him walk around my bedroom.
As far as the pyramiding I don't know much about that but to soak him & keep the home 70+ damp. Keeping that aspect stable has been the hardest part.
Ill do some research on that.
Any other info would be helpful.
-Nikole

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
moderndoubt said:
He Does not eat that everyday. I rotate what veggies I'm eating just to keep things interesting for him.
You say Exercise? How would I do that? He's walks around a bit. It's pretty cold here or I would let him walk around my bedroom.
As far as the pyramiding I don't know much about that but to soak him & keep the home 70+ damp. Keeping that aspect stable has been the hardest part.
Ill do some research on that.
Any other info would be helpful.
-Nikole

Does he like the bright light? Most RF don't like that, and tend to dig or hide from the brightness - which drives them to a cold part of the habitat and can cause problems. If he's cold, that would cause a decrease in eating & activity for sure.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Oh dear....
To me, the looks like shell rot from the underneath..I am experienced with dealing with shell fungus, but not this. Unless another forum member can advise you on treatment (I cannot), then I would advise taking it to a vet straight-away.
What I CAN do is tell you your diet is completely inadequate, unfortunately :(. You need more leafy greens, fruits, and vegetables (you can pm me if you want a diet list). You also need much higher humidity, in the 80-90% range.
Also, what is the size of your enclosure? For some reason...Looking at his legs, they aren't right. They are to skinny. They should be more muscular and thicker....It looks like he doesn't have enough excercise.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Your poor little one needs some help, and it sounds like you may have gotten some outdated advice.

Living in Tampa, your outside climate is usually pretty good for red-footeds. Is there any way it can spend more time outdoors, ideally in a well-planted secure pen? Good sunlight will do wonders for some of the problems you are seeing.

There are some great care sites online that can help with diet, housing, lighting, etc. and help quite a bit. The Library, linked below, has articles on all these topics, but also has a 'Helpful Links' section that takes you to other good sites.

A damp substrate is not the best option for red-footeds- a better idea is to add a thick layer of something like cypress mulch and keep it wet so the bottom inch or so is wet, but the top is dry. Most of us also have to cover the habitat over to keep the humidty up well, but in Tampa, that may not be as much of an issue.

Because of the condition of your tortoise, you may want to try a couple other things as well. Soak it every day or so for about 15-20 minutes in warm water that goes about 1/2 way up the shell. It might also help to add electrolytic salts (https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/health-and-medical/hydration ) or some Pediolyte to the water. You may also want to consider adding vitamins. I just use human vitamins and crush it well, then add a pinch every couple days or a couple times a week.

So...
Substrate- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/Indoor-Housing/substrates-1
Humidity- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/Indoor-Housing/humidity-1
Shell rot- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/health-and-medical/shell-rot
Diet- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/nutrition

moderndoubt

5 Year Member
Tampa, florida
So I have reworked Raulf's home. Not using coco substrate any longer. Got a new mister to keep his home moister. Me spraying his home just was not enough to keep it on point. I have been giving him soaks with added nutrients like ppl have mentioned.
As far as his food I am mixing it up with more fruits. However he isn't eating. But when he does I will update you guys.
As usual everyone has been really helpful. You guys give me info quickly that may save me grief in the long run.
Thanks everyone.
-Nikole

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
you might want to try just a little banana or even a few night crawlers. He might need a little something in his digestive track to give him energy to BUILD an appetite. You might need an overpowering smell (banana) or movement of live food to up his interest in eating just a bit more.. as far as the shell, I'd definitely try to increase ambient humidity and get rid of anything "wet"..
PS.. could you share a little more regarding the "eye" problem, your current situation may have been festering since then but your description is too vague

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
agree with most of the above especially about dehydrated and skinny -
needs high caloric intake quickly and since not eating, best seek veterinary
care immediately
your little turtle is in a very bad way - sorry and good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.