Help, quick please (needs vet)!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessie

5 Year Member
Need a vet in Cloquet or Duluth Minnesota. And I need them now. Look at my poor Russian tort. Could this be septicemia??? Am I freaking out about nothing.

Attachments

• image-761075042.png
    image-761075042.png
    435.6 KB · Views: 101

african cake queen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct.usa
RE: Help, quick please!!!

Jessie said:
Need a vet in Cloquet or Duluth Minnesota. And I need them now. Look at my poor Russian tort. Could this be septicemia??? Am I freaking out about nothing.

there is a list of vets. on this web site. good luck.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota

Sorry but all I see are growth lines and they look fine

Jessie

5 Year Member

Here's a closer look. Sorry it was a bad picture.

You have to look at the outter edges of the black spot on the scute.

Attachments

• image-126461815.png
    image-126461815.png
    471.7 KB · Views: 66

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota

cant tell from the picture sorry

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC

I think I see what you're talking about, that reddish tint right? Hmm, I wish I could help, but I really don't know what to make of it, could anything have fallen and bruised it? Are there any open wounds or cracks at all where bacteria could get in?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

Septicemia will USUALLY show up as a pink tint between the scutes where there are thinner and lighter colored. Many tortoises show some pink in their coloration naturally.

Are there any other symptoms that something is going on?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I don't see anything wrong in either picture. What makes you think he has a systemic blood infection?

Jessie

5 Year Member

Madkins007 said:
Septicemia will USUALLY show up as a pink tint between the scutes where there are thinner and lighter colored. Many tortoises show some pink in their coloration naturally.

Are there any other symptoms that something is going on?

He has stopped eating and drinking, no poop or pee, he is lethargic and stays in his shell most of the day.

I'm a new "mom" and may be freaking out about nothing but i know for a fact he didn't get burned or have a fall. Also he is incredibly lethargic and stays in his shell most of the day, he doesn't eat or drink causing no poop or pee. This red spot is getting increasingly worse as the hours pass and i tried looking online for symptoms and he is showing some but not all of the listed symptoms of being septic or having septicemia. Either way i don't feel this is normal, he is usually very active and is always begging for attention but lately he barely comes out of his shell. I noticed the red yesterday morning and today i rechecked it and seen it was getting worse. This worries me. It may be nothing but i'm still worried out of my mind. I made a vet apt. for him tomorrow at 3:20 and will let you guys know how it goes and/or if i'm indeed just crazy overprotective.

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
I don't see anything in the pictures, but good luck! Hopefully a vet visit will either fix the problem or explain it.

bekdevine

5 Year Member
UK
I hope he's ok, please keep us posted on how you get on tomorrow, I'm worried for the little chap.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Starting to sound grim to me, here is hoping he is ok, or will get better.
With septicemia the sooner it is taken care of the better. has his appetite been affected before today?

Jessie

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Starting to sound grim to me, here is hoping he is ok, or will get better.
With septicemia the sooner it is taken care of the better. has his appetite been affected before today?

Unfortunately his appetite has been slowly decreasing. In the past few days it has disappeared (or so it seams, due to no poop or pee and the refusal of his favorite greens). The first day I thought nothing of it but I've begun to worry as it continues.

Jessie

5 Year Member
Thank you guys for the support. We will be leaving soon to see the vet and will definitely keep you all updated on the results.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Please do, I really hope he's okay, at least find out what's wrong in the first place. Best of luck to you.

Jessie

5 Year Member
Well the vet said the color change was just an indicator he was sick so we knew that right away, he then did a poop test and found what looks like pin worms but could very well be hook worms. I got some antibiotics to try and flush out the worms. He said that if shakespeare isn't seeming to perk up and get a little better within a few days to let him know and he will need a new poop sample and will then send it in to tell of it's for sure hook worms or not. Thank u all for your support again. I'm glad I had people to help me out in my moment of worry. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.