Help (question about pyramiding)

parthb

I found this tortoise at a local breeder. They are Sri Lankan. As far as I know pyramiding is a result of poor nutrition and care. The thing is that the breeder was telling that this are some humped variety of torts. He meant that pyramiding is not just normal but its more priced. Is his argument valid? Should I get it or should I pass it for now?

1474187978753.jpg 1474187999978.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pyramiding is from being housed too dry, with no humidity. @Tom is raising some stars, maybe he can help. I can't recall off hand anyone else that might be able to help.
I can't say if they are suppose to be pyramided. I'm thinking not, or with very little. But wait to see what someone raising some has to say.

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
Some species of tortoise do seem to pyramid more readily than others. I've noticed this with leopards and stars, that despite proper care they can have slight pyramiding anyway. I think the prevalence of this issue in stars and leopards may also have something to do with the mistaken belief that the elevated humidity used to prevent pyramiding will lead to respiratory issues in those species. This is not the case so long as temperatures are high enough when humidity is raised. Tom's information to which you've been referred will answer those questions.

The older tortoises pictured look like they were raised dry, more than just incidental pyramiding. The bottom
picture shows a younger animal (about yearling-sized) off to a really rough start who moreover appears to be in need of beak maintenance. These cosmetic flaws may be a sign that poor care has also led to internal issues, especially kidney damage (not enough water) or calcium issues (more of an assumption here; cuttlebones are widely used as a source of Ca and will wear down the beak. That baby seems not to have had access to a cuttlebone but calcium might have been supplemented another way). I have attached an old picture of some of my stars just to give a rough idea of how bumpy you might expect a yearling to look and also so you can compare the beak growth. Kindly ignore the second tortoise in the background rudely photo-bombing this example.

If you were trying to start a breeding group, it may well be worth it to get proven breeding adults despite the pyramiding. If you plan to raise up your own from hatchlings, I think you'd do better to seek out babies started out under more appropriate conditions. image.jpeg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would pass personally

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. It is not caused by food or poor care. Other bad things can happen with the wrong foods and poor care, but not pyramiding.

There are tortoises species that do seem to demonstrate at least some degree of pyramiding in the wild. The tent tortoises from Africa being one example and indian stars being another.

If the tortoises in those pics received good hydration and good food, proper UV, etc… then I would not hesitate to buy them based on the appearance of cosmetic pyramiding. You can raise a very healthy tortoise with pyramiding, and conversely you could raise a very unhealthy smooth tortoise if you did the wrong things. I would want to know about the diet and care those tortoises had received. That would carry more weight with me than their appearance.

parthb

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. It is not caused by food or poor care. Other bad things can happen with the wrong foods and poor care, but not pyramiding.

There are tortoises species that do seem to demonstrate at least some degree of pyramiding in the wild. The tent tortoises from Africa being one example and indian stars being another.

If the tortoises in those pics received good hydration and good food, proper UV, etc… then I would not hesitate to buy them based on the appearance of cosmetic pyramiding. You can raise a very healthy tortoise with pyramiding, and conversely you could raise a very unhealthy smooth tortoise if you did the wrong things. I would want to know about the diet and care those tortoises had received. That would carry more weight with me than their appearance.
I would pass personally
Some species of tortoise do seem to pyramid more readily than others. I've noticed this with leopards and stars, that despite proper care they can have slight pyramiding anyway. I think the prevalence of this issue in stars and leopards may also have something to do with the mistaken belief that the elevated humidity used to prevent pyramiding will lead to respiratory issues in those species. This is not the case so long as temperatures are high enough when humidity is raised. Tom's information to which you've been referred will answer those questions.

The older tortoises pictured look like they were raised dry, more than just incidental pyramiding. The bottom
picture shows a younger animal (about yearling-sized) off to a really rough start who moreover appears to be in need of beak maintenance. These cosmetic flaws may be a sign that poor care has also led to internal issues, especially kidney damage (not enough water) or calcium issues (more of an assumption here; cuttlebones are widely used as a source of Ca and will wear down the beak. That baby seems not to have had access to a cuttlebone but calcium might have been supplemented another way). I have attached an old picture of some of my stars just to give a rough idea of how bumpy you might expect a yearling to look and also so you can compare the beak growth. Kindly ignore the second tortoise in the background rudely photo-bombing this example.

If you were trying to start a breeding group, it may well be worth it to get proven breeding adults despite the pyramiding. If you plan to raise up your own from hatchlings, I think you'd do better to seek out babies started out under more appropriate conditions. View attachment 187251
Pyramiding is from being housed too dry, with no humidity. @Tom is raising some stars, maybe he can help. I can't recall off hand anyone else that might be able to help.
I can't say if they are suppose to be pyramided. I'm thinking not, or with very little. But wait to see what someone raising some has to say.

Thanks for your suggestions.