Help: plastron injury

Geng

5 Year Member
My tortoise (2 years, russian, female) was playing outside today. At 5 PM I took her in I gave her a bath before putting her back in her enclosure. When I was drying her I saw a bit of dirt under her plastron. I cleaned it with a tissue and saw a small wound (see pics). I really don't know how this happened...

Anyway, my worries and question:

- Will her wound heal by itself, or do I need to visit a vet?
- I put a plaster on her wound. Is it wise to do it?
- Maybe a bit overdramatic but it isn't life threatening right? (I handle like my tortoise is made out of glass)

Screenshot_2016-05-05-16-59-27.png Screenshot_2016-05-05-16-59-34.png Screenshot_2016-05-05-16-59-40.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
No, you are not being overdramatic. This looks to me like puncture wound. Did you inspect her all over? Is there another injury in the opposite side of her shell? If so, it's probably a bite wound, which would worry me less than potential internal crush injuries. Let's alert @Yvonne G and @Tom, hopefully they chime in soon

Geng

5 Year Member
No, you are not being overdramatic. This looks to me like puncture wound. Did you inspect her all over? Is there another injury in the opposite side of her shell? If so, it's probably a bite wound, which would worry me less than potential internal crush injuries. Let's alert @Yvonne G and @Tom, hopefully they chime in soon

Thanks for your reply!

I only checken her plastron. She's asleep now and I dont want disturb her. Also, I was at home the whole day and I basically had my eyes on her every 10 min. No animal seen expect few ant crawling over her. She was quite active and was taking walks all over the garden.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The plaster wasn't a bad idea. It will keep dirt off the area. But I would dab on a bit of antibiotic ointment first, then the plaster. This will also keep flies from laying eggs on the wound.

It is not life threatening. The tortoise will heal just fine. It would be similar to you skinning your knee. Painful, but nothing to worry about

Geng

5 Year Member
The plaster wasn't a bad idea. It will keep dirt off the area. But I would dab on a bit of antibiotic ointment first, then the plaster. This will also keep flies from laying eggs on the wound.

It is not life threatening. The tortoise will heal just fine. It would be similar to you skinning your knee. Painful, but nothing to worry about
Thanks a lot!

Calming words from an expert really feels great. About the ointment, which one can you recommen? Does it have to be some special reptile antibiotic? Also, do you know how long it takes to heal the wound?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here in the States we have Neosporin:

tumblr_static_u9ipxq2brfkgog4gs80k48s4_640_v2.jpg

But I imagine any antibiotic ointment would do. If you keep it clean it should be hardened off in a few days and completely healed in a couple weeks.

Geng

5 Year Member

But I imagine any antibiotic ointment would do. If you keep it clean it should be hardened off in a few days and completely healed in a couple weeks.

Many thanks!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

Thanks, Yvonne! You're awesome! so you don't see reason to worry here? I saw this crack going up "11o'clock" from the wound ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462538135.787619.jpg and made a quick assumption, that this wound was inflicted by something sharp also applying enough pressure to crack the shell, i.e. Could be a tooth mark (that's why I asked what the opposite side of the shell/body looked like, or, fall on sharp object forceful enough to crack the shell. Again, I've been "thinking/reasoning : tortoise" for only a little less than a year so my hands-on is limited to my redfoot babies. Handling them I have a general idea how hard the shell is and, again: ASSUME that the shell should withstand minor bumps. I must stop making assumptions. Yvonne I wish I lived closer to you and could come "intern" with you for a while:)