Help Needed,

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Hello,

Tomorrow i will be receiving my first tortoise, a hatch-ling Cherry Head Red Foot. I have been doing alot of research in anticipation of the little ones arrival. I think im probably guilty of over researching and am starting to confuse and doubt myself on some things, so im hoping someone here can enlighten me. Here are there questions i have:

First is about habitat, i have the option of using either the zoomed tortoise house, which is a wooden box or the exo-terra large/wide reptile habitat. Being that the cherry head needs humidity, i thought the exo-terra might be the best idea, but i find alot of contradictory info as to whether or not glass or wood is best. i live in the north east US so it is fairly humid here usually so maybe just soaking the tortoise will be sufficient. Im posting here two links, one for each house so you all can see what im comparing.

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/natural_terrarium_large.php

http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=245&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=5

My next question is in regards to the lighting, and piggybacks off my housing issue. I purchased the zoomed combo deep dome fixture. I plan to use the 100W powersun uv lamp, which is a combo lamp for uva/uvb and heat. I intend to use the 75W nocturnal infrared heat lamp for the night time hours. I am wondering what the ideal combo is for a cherry head, and if ive made the right choice. Ive seen the reptisun 10.0, 5.0, and the powersun uv, but im torn on which is best for my little guy. Is it best to use the powersun/night combo i intended, or is it best to use a separate uv light, a heat light and a night time light? if it is best to use the 3 lights as opposed to two, is the reptisun 5.0 or 10.0 the best choice?

I do realize with the 100W light it will need to be up to 12 inches close for sufficient warmth, so i already have the height of my terrarium in mind, exo-terra sells the tank at 12 inch height which is the same height as the zoomed house.

My little one gets delivered tomorrow morning, and at the last minute im doubting myself, so that being said...HELP!!, lol...All info will be well received and appreciated! Sorry if any of these are dumb ?'s, im a noob to this.

Regards,

TZ

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, those manufactured tortoise houses are too small. And I definitely wouldn't buy one to use for a hatchling that requires a humid environment. The moist substrate would ruin the wood very quickly.

You can buy a large plastic tub pretty cheap...much cheaper than the tortoise house. And the plastic will be impervious to the constant moisture.

Your little redfoot baby will need a most substrate, but one that will dry out on top and stay moist underneath. You can also provide the required humidity by giving him moistened sphagnum moss inside his hiding place.

If you haven't read about redfooted tortoises in our Tortoise Library , then I suggest you do so. It was compiled by one of our moderators, Madkins007, and has a wealth of good info for you.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man,look in the red foot post someone took two plastic totes put one on top of the other and cut holes in the side and installed some plexiglass.This made a chamber then put a che in on a t stat mount a small uvb 5.0 on the top and put that on a timer for a 12 to 14 hour cycle and you have it all for less than them enclosures on line.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Unfortunately just soaking will not work. They need constant humidity, 80% and above. I don't believe wood would Will work either...for heat I use a ceramic heat emitter. (CHE). This is good for nighttime. It doesn't give off any light.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Thanks all for the info. As per your advice, I have a bunch of tubs here i will tinker with and see how i fare. I still think in the end ill wind up with a glass tank, but since im just starting out ill hold off on that for a bit. its almost 130 am here and i cant sleep, excited for the lil guy to get here, 10am is his latest possible arrival. Ill post a pic when he/she arrives!...thanks again for helping out :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rather than putting two plastic tubs on top of each other, you can cut out opposing ends and line them up end to end. This makes a nice, big enclosure. But, a baby can live in an aquarium for quite a while. That's a good choice too. Just be sure its big enough for him to get exercise.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Status
Not open for further replies.