Help needed with my sulcata baby!!!

navarroabner

hey everyone, im new here, I am from Virginia, and I just recued a baby sulcata from craigslist a couple of days ago,

She's 2 months old and Im currently housing her in a 10 gallon tank, (planning to upgrade her tank soon)
I've already set up the basking light and uvb light but I was reading online because I've been doing a lot of research to provide the best care I can, that she needs a certain level of humidity and Im having a lot of trouble with that right now, the tempeture in the tank right now is 100 degrees in the basking area and the humidity level is at 30 at the moment.
can anyone please tell me if im doing something wrong please because I really don't want to harm my baby.

Thanks in advance

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:). You need to do,the upgrade ASAP, it will be almost impossible to get the correct temos in a ten gallon aquarium and not over heat the little guy most of the time. Please read Toms threads below in my post for the best way to raise a sulcata

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
I also have a sulcata that is almost one. I am using a thick layer of cypress mulch and I keep the bottom of the mulch damp to almost wet all the time. I also have about 5 plants int he enclosure. I keep a cover over most of the enclosure while I am at work. I have a layer of sphagnum in a few places in the enclosure that I mist during the day. All of these put together keeps the humidity at about 50 to 60. I have only had him for about a month and learned everything from this forum. I don't know if I am doing everything right, but I am trying. Hope this helps.
20150304_191432.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
What a beautiful girl you have there to be sure.
You'll get all the help and support you could possibly need here.
Welcome

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I also have a sulcata that is almost one. I am using a thick layer of cypress mulch and I keep the bottom of the mulch damp to almost wet all the time. I also have about 5 plants int he enclosure. I keep a cover over most of the enclosure while I am at work. I have a layer of sphagnum in a few places in the enclosure that I mist during the day. All of these put together keeps the humidity at about 50 to 60. I have only had him for about a month and learned everything from this forum. I don't know if I am doing everything right, but I am trying. Hope this helps.
View attachment 121551

Hi, you've got to start your own thread so we can help you too without taking away from the help of the original poster.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hey everyone, im new here, I am from Virginia, and I just recued a baby sulcata from craigslist a couple of days ago,

She's 2 months old and Im currently housing her in a 10 gallon tank, (planning to upgrade her tank soon)
I've already set up the basking light and uvb light but I was reading online because I've been doing a lot of research to provide the best care I can, that she needs a certain level of humidity and Im having a lot of trouble with that right now, the tempeture in the tank right now is 100 degrees in the basking area and the humidity level is at 30 at the moment.
can anyone please tell me if im doing something wrong please because I really don't want to harm my baby.

Thanks in advance

Please read all of these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Abner, and welcome to the Forum!

Wet your substrate. Thats where the humidity comes from.