HELP!!! Looking For Radiated Tortoises Breeders in CA

turtandtort

5 Year Member
Hi Rad lovers!

I just recently move to San Jose, CA and I have been dreaming about having a group of radiated tortoises for so long. wondering if you know anyone who breeds these in my state.

Please advise!!!

Thank you,

Sil

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
I am a Radiated lover. But I would have to take a second mortgage out to have a *group* of them.
Maybe someday...
I hope you can put your group together. I am sure there are breeders in CA, but you may have to wait for babies.
Ann from CT

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
It is not so complicated to get the permit so you can buy them from breeders in other states.

I understand many good/valid resaons to not do that, no need to offer your own reasons why, if you don't want to.

In the event that you did consider a permit, but thought it might be a major hassle, well, it's not complicated.

Will

turtandtort

5 Year Member
Hi Will,

thank you for the reply. do you know how long it will take to get the permit?

thank you

Will said:
It is not so complicated to get the permit so you can buy them from breeders in other states.

I understand many good/valid resaons to not do that, no need to offer your own reasons why, if you don't want to.

In the event that you did consider a permit, but thought it might be a major hassle, well, it's not complicated.

Will

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
They, USFWS, say some period of time, I forgot exactly, maybe 90 days. Mine came back in about one month.

Of course USFWS is affected by the shut down, so that will probly cause a backlog after those folks can get back to work.

I'll look when I get back to my lap top, and send the page links, sometime tomorrow.

Will

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Im not sure of any breeders in Calif. but Im sure there are. I did buy 3 radiated in Calif. berofe I got my permit. I got my permit in about 2 months and the fees are about 200 dollars. The reason I got my permit is because I wanted to buy sexed radiated so I would know what I was getting rather than waiting 10 years to find out. I have been considering selling one of my radiated so I can buy an already sexed male. I dont know the sex of the animal that I may be selling. Im in California if you are interested send me a pm and we can go from there. If you need any help with the paperwork for the permit let me know. Some of the questions you may need help on. Getting the permit gives you alot more options as far as buying tortoises outside of california.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Right now all the links to applications are being re-directed to one page in the USFWS portal - it's all shut down. My saved pdf's are completed apps for the permit.

PM me with a real contact info for further sharing, or wait 'till our Government spools up again for clear access and docs.

Bigred showed me much to get the permit as well, just carrying the help forward, that permit help is good too.

Will