HELP ~ Is Talstar Granials Pesticide OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

aSoldiersWife

5 Year Member
:tort:I had to sprinkle my yard with Talstar Pesticide because we had a severe flea problem. Is it safe to put my Tortoises back outside any? Im scared that they will get sick or poisened by it? PLEASE HELP, NOBODY ONLINE KNOWS?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
:tort:I had to sprinkle my yard with Talstar Pesticide because we had a severe flea problem. Is it safe to put my Tortoises back outside any? Im scared that they will get sick or poisened by it? PLEASE HELP, NOBODY ONLINE KNOWS?

I would say no. But let's wait and see what the more experienced owners say.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Spray or granules?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I googled "Telstar insecticide dangers" and got lots of articles about how it kills bees, birds, fish etc. It is apparently especially formulated to last at least 3 months. Check it out yourself, but my guess would be no- not safe. But that's just a guess. Let's see if other folks have had experience with it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
NO it is a poison. I would not ever take a chance with any poison. I would not let any animal out on it for quite some time.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Well, is it anywhere near or in his enclosure? I'm honestly not sure the tort would eat it or not...

It'd probably make it pretty sick if he did eat it, though.

EKLC

5 Year Member
The pesticide you applied is bifenthrin.

From http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/bifenthr.htm
"It's half-life in soil, the amount of time it takes to degrade to half of its original concentration, is 7 days to 8 months depending on the soil type and the amount of air in the soil (11, 62).
Breakdown of Chemical in Vegetation: Bifenthrin is not absorbed by plant foliage, nor does it translocate in the plant (63). "

If your soil is sandy, the half life will be on the shorter end of that range

Sunlight degrades it, so if it's in a sunny area it should degrade faster.

If it has rained a lot that helps.

I've seen it recommended not to graze livestock on forage treated with bifenthrin for 30 days following treatment. Of course, as non-agricultural tortoise owners, we should play it safer because our torts are going to need healthy organs for a very long time.

If you want to be safe, but also want your tort to be outside ASAP, you could make a fairly deep raised bed, filled with organic topsoil (not potting), and plant new stuff. And don't use pressure treated wood for the bed!

aSoldiersWife

5 Year Member
Well I appreciate ALL the feed back from everyone!!!☺ I went and bought my babies an under the bed storage container , put them in there and have there food in a small dish with coconut shavings with there lights , a few rocks and hiding log... I'll just bring there container out during the day for a few hours to get there UV but I'll keep them in there for at least the next 40-60 days bc I live in louisiana where it rains a lot & humid do it prob won't last as long , along with our sandy soil... I'll take pics & post them soon so I can get some input on there bedding to make sure they stay happy, healthy & sweet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.