HELP - I'm heartbroken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Everyone has given you great advice. You'll find him, I'm sure. Lay down on the floor with a flashlight. Put some food all around ...not in a dish...some water in a low bowl....good luck...sending prayers your way.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Laura said:
Is he stuck behind the dresser against teh wall? Under the couch? Can you lift it up?
Is he still being soaked? Put in the wrong enclosure? Phone rang and got distracted??

That was one of my first thoughts, but no luck. I've tipped the sofa and checked underneath. I checked our bearded dragon's old and new enclosure (good suggestion, btw).

M

Maggie Cummings

Run your hand down on the side of your sofa between the cushions and the arm rest...and I hate to ask this...but I know terriers...could the one have eaten the tort? I have seen a lot too many of dog chewed tortoises, so I know that dogs eat tortoises. Is this possible in your situation?

rwfoss

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Run your hand down on the side of your sofa between the cushions and the arm rest...and I hate to ask this...but I know terriers...could the one have eaten the tort? I have seen a lot too many of dog chewed tortoises, so I know that dogs eat tortoises. Is this possible in your situation?

I don't want to sound too naive, but I don't think the dogs have gotten to him. They're both old and spend most of their day in the living room on the couch. We have also checked all of their "hiding" spots when they snag a bone or some other treat they are working on.

I've been all through the sofa for sure. I even ripped the covering off of the bottom to check the inside. The more we look, the more baffled we are. I do have dandelion leaves places throughout the house, so we'll be checking for bite marks in the morning.

It's been just over 24 hours...

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Have you checked all the closets? In shoes, hanging jackets? Under/in/behind random items on the floor (of the closet)? I can't remember if it was asked already, but have you looked behind the dresser his table sits on? Under/in/behind the entertainment center you mentioned, and everything on/in it? Look EVERYWHERE, even places you don't think he would ever fit, places you don't think he could climb, and abstract little out-of-the-way places you wouldn't normally think of.

Watching the cats and dogs is an excellent idea! One of my hatchling corn snakes got loose in the middle of the night once.. The next morning, the dog found her and alerted me--before I even knew she was missing! Lol.

I haven't had to deal with missing four-legged things, but I've had my fair share of escaped snakes... It really is NOT fun. I hope he turns up soon!!!

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Did you put some food down in each room?
Is any eaten!

DONT GIVE UP!
I hear tortoises can live weeks wothout food!
there is still hope!

xx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you find him, you'll have a great story to tell. AND....... we all want to hear it.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
I really, really appreciate everyone's support. I'll be honest, I've done so much looking over the past 24+ hours that I was kind of giving up this morning. So thanks again.

I put dandelion leaves throughout the house before I went to bed, but no nibbles as of this morning. I'll be starting the hunt in the morning.

I haven't done a lot of looking up, but I've heard they can climb. I've looked in all obvious places, but today I'm doing the "there's no way he's in there" searching.

I am hoping to post that "Gus found" story soon.

I'll keep you all posted.

Rick

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just remember...get down on his level. Slither along the floor on your stomach and you'll see places that a small tortoise can get into that you can't see from standing or kneeling.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emysemys said:
Just remember...get down on his level. Slither along the floor on your stomach and you'll see places that a small tortoise can get into that you can't see from standing or kneeling.

Spoken from obvious experience!

franeich

5 Year Member
I think setting up a basking light in the room sounds like a good idea. Not sure who suggested it. What is your enclosure like that he can climb out?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I said the basking light... even place it outside....

Dont give up.. he doesnt want you to give up

rwfoss

5 Year Member
franeich said:
I think setting up a basking light in the room sounds like a good idea. Not sure who suggested it. What is your enclosure like that he can climb out?

The enclosure was a 66 quart Rubbermaid storage container. It is long and shallow and is on wheels. I think is it used to store clothes under a bed. The sides are about 8 inches? I watched him trying to get out one day and he was so far from being able to reach the top that I didn't think anything of it. However, he could have gotten on top of his hide and walked along the side and the wall.

I went through everything in that one room - completely. Closet has no clothes, but a lot of critter supplies. I checked through every box, top to bottom. Behind everything in the closet. I looked through the trash can, on every shelf of the book shelves (pulled everything out), looked back behind and under furniture again (because can be moving around, obviously). There cannot be anyway he is still in his room. He has to have either walked out (which is more likely) or was assisted out by an animal.

Speaking of animals, none of them have been acting any differently. No curious looks into a corner or under anything. No sniffing around. Just sleeping.

I have to believe that his shell was too tall to allow him to slip under doors, but even so, we've checked (and laid food out) in the spare room next to his room. The door to the garage was closed and it has a weather strip where he cannot get through, so he is not there for sure.

I'll admit, my spirits are dwindling as 48 hours is approaching. I feel guilty every time I stop looking (out of either exhaustion or frustration). But, having dinner and then back to it...

chikken

5 Year Member
CT
I keep checking this thread hoping there will be good news and a found tortoise! As someone who's experienced a hamster break out a time or two, I can understand the frustration... unfortunately, it seems like hamsters leave more of a trail of evidence (or at least make more noise) than a tortoise. Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and sending good thoughts your way!

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Yes i keep looking at this thread hoping for good news, then I refresh the page :p
There is a guy on here ( cant remember his name) had a tortoise pinched, then few years later got him back!
I know its a different situation, but its hope and you have to keep looking, keep your head up and be strong, if i could I would come round and help XD

xx

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Sunday morning, still no Gus. None of the food had been eaten that I've left out.

I know that I should keep looking, but it's hard when you've looked under the same piece of furniture or through the same closet, etc., only to see nothing. I know he could be moving around, so looking in the same place is helpful. Just gets harder each time. I had also been thinking very recently about getting Gus a little friend, probably a Leopard tort, but am feeling to guilty to give it thought.

What I might try to do this afternoon is make a video of the room and post a link to it here. That way people can see his set us and where he escaped from.

Again, thanks for the positive comments and thoughts.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Sorry to hear you haven't found Gus yet. :( Have you tryed puting a basking area on the floor for awhile in the morning? I think that was a great idea. Is there any vents anywhere he could get in a heater vent? Wish we could help you look. Hopeing and praying he comes out soon.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Vents goo idea..

Have you moved the fridge?
looked under the oven?
water heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.