Help for a newbie owner. (general care & routines)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Right, that's what I mean. A previous comment mentioned letting the tortoise wander and they were getting into the neighbor's yard. That's not an enclosure and not safe...
We are in agreement.

I'm realizing that at least some percentage of the time when I repsond to a post is because I know lots of other people around the world are reading it and I want to make sure that everyone reading gets the right info. I was pretty sure you already knew what I was saying, but just wanted to be clear to other readers.

Benja28

Pilar de la Horadada, Alicante, Spain
Hello and welcome Benja28. This is a public forum and people can say what they want within reason, but please disregard the terrible advice you have been given on this thread, and read the one that SinLA linked for you. There is also a temperate species care sheet for you at the bottom of that one, and a heating and lighting breakdown.

Questions are welcome. Our goal is to help you avoid disaster and not make all the common mistakes that most people make.
I will not take that advice in count and I also read the guide that SinLA linked, it was very helpful to be honest. Thank you all for taking your time to help a newbie, I think that I am going to learn more and more about my tortoise. Thanks !!

Benja28

Hello and welcome to TFO. I have a little Russian also. My little guy is quite a few years older than yours. He's probably around 20 years old or so. I wish I had found this site a lot sooner than I did. Since you have a juvenile I'll leave all that up to the experts as I've never raised a baby and they need different care than my adult. Best wishes for a fun and happy life with your little one.🤗
Mine is so small, I don't know how old it is, any idea about it? Can you send me a photo of your tortoise, I would love to see an adult Russian tortoise

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Mine is so small, I don't know how old it is, any idea about it? Can you send me a photo of your tortoise, I would love to see an adult Russian tortoise
Here is Fezzik. He was originally bought at a petstore by his previous owners so no idea how old he is, I'm guessing a decade at least, but could be more. Males are often around 5", females larger. if yours is only 2.5 inches then likely not full grown yet.

Attachments

• Fezzik JS.jpg
    Fezzik JS.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 1
  • FezzikFlower.JPG
    FezzikFlower.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 1

Benja28

It's very very pretty, by the way, very nice photos. Was yours also shy at first? because mine is very very shy right now, I have to say that she has only been with me for two days so I suppose that it could be because of the time
Here is Fezzik. He was originally bought at a petstore by his previous owners so no idea how old he is, I'm guessing a decade at least, but could be more. Males are often around 5", females larger. if yours is only 2.5 inches then likely not full grown yet.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I would say a few things on this: 1) YES expect them to take weeks if not even into months to settle in, 2) If yours is a juvenile you should be able to work with it to make it more comfortable, 3) my guy lived years out in the wild for years (could be more), got captured, put in a shipping crate, sent overseas, put in a Petco, purchased, and left to live in the "wilds" of a yard in LA. So my guy is not likely ever going to be exuberant about me, but he will eat out of my hand on the rare occasions I try it, so I know he's not too terrified of me. That's about the best I'm going to get.

Benja28

I would say a few things on this: 1) YES expect them to take weeks if not even into months to settle in, 2) If yours is a juvenile you should be able to work with it to make it more comfortable, 3) my guy lived years out in the wild for years (could be more), got captured, put in a shipping crate, sent overseas, put in a Petco, purchased, and left to live in the "wilds" of a yard in LA. So my guy is not likely ever going to be exuberant about me, but he will eat out of my hand on the rare occasions I try it, so I know he's not too terrified of me. That's about the best I'm going to get.

Okey, I was afraid of her being shy, but with this I feel calmer, I will give her time and try to give her confidence so that she creates a greater bond with me every time.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm not sure how old your little one is because I've never raised a baby. Mine is a little 5" semi truck. He can move large objects 😁 I've read some Russian1387.jpg males get larger. I'm going to try and post a picture but you have SinLa's photo also

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm not sure how old your little one is because I've never raised a baby. Mine is a little 5" semi truck. He can move large objects 😁 I've read some RussianView attachment 356990 males get larger. I'm going to try and post a picture but you have SinLa's photo also
Also I forgot to mention that tortoises grow at different speeds. So a person can only make an educated guess as what their true age is.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
You have lots of info and links. As a new owner there is a lot to learn and get familiar with, you can get another plastic box and make holes to connect of you want larger. Most of us have enclosed vivarium set up so we have heat and humidity but in Spain your temps are hotter you just need to becareful re air conditioning as they need heat. I recommend you soak your tortoise in shallow warm water 3 times a week for 20 or 30 mins in a high sided container so they can not walk out! They will poo and wee but it is good to get this out. If you can arrange a secure outside enclosure with shade that would be beneficial You should provide a water dish they can walk in and sit in similar to a plant pot base. Please ask questions as required.

EricW

Houston, TX
Hola. Mi madre es de Carmona. Hace tiempo que no vuelvo a España. Tengo que volver allí pronto para visitar a la familia. Bienvenido al foro.

Benja28

You have lots of info and links. As a new owner there is a lot to learn and get familiar with, you can get another plastic box and make holes to connect of you want larger. Most of us have enclosed vivarium set up so we have heat and humidity but in Spain your temps are hotter you just need to becareful re air conditioning as they need heat. I recommend you soak your tortoise in shallow warm water 3 times a week for 20 or 30 mins in a high sided container so they can not walk out! They will poo and wee but it is good to get this out. If you can arrange a secure outside enclosure with shade that would be beneficial You should provide a water dish they can walk in and sit in similar to a plant pot base. Please ask questions as required.
I am planning to buy another box and like you said, connect them with a handcrafted bridge for example. And yes, like you said, in Spain temps are hotter, and where i live even more.

I read that daily soaking is beneficial so i am doing it, every afternoon i soak she in warm water. The container that I use for soaking is large and high sided, there is no way for her to escape or walk out. I also like to use the large container because she runs all over it.

I have only been with her for two days but I already have a lot of affection for her.

I am sorry because of my english, it may not be perfect but like it says in my profile, I am from Spain, but, I try to explain myself as best as possible.

Icono de Validado por la comunidad

Icono de Validado por la comunidad

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I am planning to buy another box and like you said, connect them with a handcrafted bridge for example. And yes, like you said, in Spain temps are hotter, and where i live even more.

I read that daily soaking is beneficial so i am doing it, every afternoon i soak she in warm water. The container that I use for soaking is large and high sided, there is no way for her to escape or walk out. I also like to use the large container because she runs all over it.

I have only been with her for two days but I already have a lot of affection for her.

I am sorry because of my english, it may not be perfect but like it says in my profile, I am from Spain, but, I try to explain myself as best as possible.

View attachment 356994

View attachment 356993
Tu escribes perfectamente. Todos deberíamos ser tan talentosos...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

View attachment 356994

View attachment 356993
You are doing great 👍. I really became interested in your thread because of you but plus you are from Spain. That's another thing that's really nice about this website. We get to meet people kind of from so many places all over the world. And to read about how they solve their particular issues with taking care of their tortoise. Your English is good.

Benja28

So, today i got very good news, SHE ATE FROM MY HAND, i was so excited about this and almost cried ( yes, boys cry too )

Another thing that i noticed is that my poor Belly broke a nail, she has no blood or inflamation so i think its only going to take time to re-grow.

Today was a very good day and plenty of excitement !

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
So, today i got very good news, SHE ATE FROM MY HAND, i was so excited about this and almost cried ( yes, boys cry too )

Another thing that i noticed is that my poor Belly broke a nail, she has no blood or inflamation so i think its only going to take time to re-grow.

Today was a very good day and plenty of excitement !

I have only hand-fed twice, but when he took food from my hand it warmed my heart with great joy. Congrats...