Help! Eyes seam to be getting cloudy in the corners?

Amccoul516

Location (City and/or State)
Asheville, NC
What can I do to help my baby before I can get to the vet. Are there safe drops I can buy at a local store. I have been washing her more often. Any specific type of food or vitamins that are geared towards eye health. What conditions are optimal? Thank you in advance.
Adam

Amccoul516

Asheville, NC
I can post some pictures at lunch time if that would help. Mary also seams to get startled easily, sort of like she can't see me until I'm close.

Amccoul516

Asheville, NC
Here are some pics of my enclosure. I have a reptisun mercury vapor uvb, uva bulb. I had a coil type bulb for a year before that. I had no idea they could do harm. I will post some pics of Mary's eyes when I get home.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

amy&alfie

North West England
Hi,

I'm new to this but my baby horsfeild has a cloudy/swollen eye. I traveled an hour to take him to the closest reptile vet and I'm now giving him an antibiotic that she said was really safe. It's called chloramphenicol and is the same dosage as in optrex infected eye drops you get from a pharmacy (don't tell them it's for your tort!), she said three times a day, and keep it in the fridge. I've continued with that and I'm bathing him/rinsing his eye at least once a day he struggles most in the mornings so to help him open it I bath him. He is getting better, not sure if it's the same thing but thought it may be helpful to you. I'll post a pick of his eye. Get well soon to your tort!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 33

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Your enclosure looks a bit dry, do you moisten the substrate at all? Looks like you didn't put very much substrate, either. They do like to dig themselves little holes from time to time.

How do you measure your humidity? Those pet store gauges can be really inaccurate.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Here are some pics of my enclosure. I have a reptisun mercury vapor uvb, uva bulb. I had a coil type bulb for a year before that. I had no idea they could do harm. I will post some pics of Mary's eyes when I get home.View attachment 136098 View attachment 136099 View attachment 136100
Your tort looks bigger than its hide so it cant hide away and its water dish is too small. For your tort to be able to drink it must be able to submerge both its nostrils and its mouth to create a vaccum to drink.tortoises dont
have a pallet like humans to seperate mouth and nostrils. I should put something like a cat litter tray in and build your substrate upto the level of the cat litter tray so there is no lip. This way he can drink in comfort. Hope this helps. Either that or that is a fake Tortoise. We can't tell.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Me and the Misses are now having a debate if that's a real tort. I can see one in the doorway of the large hide. Please tell me the other is a fancy hide. Or I'll be wrong AGAIN. Lol.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I can't stop laughing. She just said. "It's not got proper markings on it". That's funny. Come on tell me its a snazzy hide. I have a grin as big as my face. :)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Like others have said.

Your substrate is way too thin (should be several inches thick) and is way too dry.
That analog gauge you have is super inaccurate and I guaranty your humidity is lower than what you think it is. Get yourself a $10 digital gauge from Home Depot or Walmart

Keeping humidity up with thin dry substrate and an open top is hard enough, add a MVB to the mix and it's damn near impossible.

I recommend you deepen your substrate, moisten it and find a way to cover the top (at least 3/4 of it)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So funny. I've not laughed like that for ages. I just choked on my drink. I was going to put it looks like godzilla in tokoyo. But there was a seed of doubt it could be real and didn't want to upset anyone. Omg :D:D:D made my day. Yeah and dawns laughing at me.

Amccoul516

Asheville, NC
Lol, I had no idea that that little hide would cause so many laughs. I've got to revamp my whole setup here. I'm going to make it bigger and get different gauges and need to get some plant life for them