Hello! New mum to two shell babies

FeeBee76

Location (City and/or State)
Isle of Man
Hi everyone.
I am a proud new mum to two 10 month old horsefields. My daughters bought them for me for Christmas after my saying for years I would love a tortoise! I am reading as much as possible about them. We live on the Isle of Man and its very cold at the moment. Despite reading as much as I can I worry about them all the time and if I'm doing enough for them! I'm looking forward to reading about your little ones and gaining advice and tips from the experienced keepers and hopefully share pictures. X

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and a Welcome. Just so you know, if they are hatchlings you have a little time. If they are not hatchlings then they need to be housed seperatly. Tortoises don't do good in pairs and don't want or need a friend. One is better then two. Unfortunately this is a mistake that happens too often.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone.
I am a proud new mum to two 10 month old horsefields. My daughters bought them for me for Christmas after my saying for years I would love a tortoise! I am reading as much as possible about them. We live on the Isle of Man and its very cold at the moment. Despite reading as much as I can I worry about them all the time and if I'm doing enough for them! I'm looking forward to reading about your little ones and gaining advice and tips from the experienced keepers and hopefully share pictures. X

Hello and welcome.

Read those threads that Adam posted. This one too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

FeeBee76

Isle of Man
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
To start off have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
And unfortunately, tortoises don't do well in pairs see http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
Photos are always welcome if you can manage it.
Thank you for information. Some fantastic guidance there. I'm pleased so far that I am doing mostly the right things! I have ordered infra red thermometer and a better temperature gauge. However, the covering I bought is top soil sand and limestone grit from pets at home. After reading the thread it seems this is not good.. Ill take note of the pairings... Good idea to have another house set up as they get older in case of any conflicts. I have been thrown in at the deep end with my beautiful shell babies but I absolutly adore them and am learning things fast. Many thanks for your welcome and support.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thank you for information. Some fantastic guidance there. I'm pleased so far that I am doing mostly the right things! I have ordered infra red thermometer and a better temperature gauge. However, the covering I bought is top soil sand and limestone grit from pets at home. After reading the thread it seems this is not good.. Ill take note of the pairings... Good idea to have another house set up as they get older in case of any conflicts. I have been thrown in at the deep end with my beautiful shell babies but I absolutly adore them and am learning things fast. Many thanks for your welcome and support.
Pleasure.:)
Sand and grit can cause impaction and are thus potentially dangerous.
Coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch are the preferred substrates.
There will be conflicts as they get older, some bullying is subtle, like cuddling up, 'sharing' food, or one following the other, but it will happen.
We're all still learning, but it's great you're doing most of it right and are willing to learn.:)

FeeBee76

Isle of Man
Sorry to be a pain but I'm reading about humidity. Yet I have read elsewhere not to keep them in damp environments as they don't like it and can cause pneumonia... Therefore I haven't been dampening down the soil.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Humid and hot is good.
Humid and cold equals a sick tortoise.
50 to 70% humidity is fine for Russians and they like to dig in damp substrate.