Hello, New Here

Bibi

Gerry.jpg Daphnie.jpg
Gerry Daphnie

Hello all, I live in South Morocco and have recently acquired two tortoises which were left in a villa. I found this forum while trying to get more information and I believe they are spur thigh tortoises, both female. I have found there is a lot of contradictory advice regarding diet on the internet. They now both live outside on a good sized terrace which has both a paved area and soil with a few bushes. They have access to shade (covered areas as well as bushes) and sun throughout the day. I used to weed the area round the bushes but I am now leaving this so little weeds and some blades of grass can grow in the hope that this may be good for them (I have seen them munch on the small shoots). I am primarily feeding lettuce, cucumber, tomato, apple and some shaved carrot. I see on the internet that there are supplements given but I have no idea where I would get them from here. They are called Gerry and Daphnie. I am little concerned that Gerry may have some shell rot just behind her head. They are both eating well and their output looks normal. I am not sure what to clean the patio with now either as we used to use disinfectant or bleach? I would be very grateful for some advice and having looked at your forum you all seemed so friendly!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hello @Bibi and a very warm welcome to the forum! :)

Gerry and Daphnie are good looking torts. :D

Please begin by reading the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheets. Do NOT hesitate to ask ANY question whenever in doubt. Please make sure that there's enough warmth and humidity. And give your torts daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid pyramiding and dehydration.

@Tidgy's Dad also lives in Morocco and he'd be able to help you and give you advise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

They're probably Greeks, but I'm real bad at knowing the Mediterranean species. Not shell rot, maybe an old spot where it was chewed by a dog?

Bibi

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

They're probably Greeks, but I'm real bad at knowing the Mediterranean species. Not shell rot, maybe an old spot where it was chewed by a dog?
Interesting, there are many stray dogs here, thanks for that.

Bibi

Hello @Bibi and a very warm welcome to the forum! :)

Gerry and Daphnie are good looking torts. :D

Please begin by reading the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheets. Do NOT hesitate to ask ANY question whenever in doubt. Please make sure that there's enough warmth and humidity. And give your torts daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid pyramiding and dehydration.

@Tidgy's Dad also lives in Morocco and he'd be able to help you and give you advise.
Hi there, thanks for the advice, I have read the Beginners Guide and seem to be slipping up all over the place! Firstly, not by choice, inheriting two..... I shall monitor behaviour. The terrace is completely enclosed but I think I will get a barrier made which I can put into place to contain them a little more if I go away for a few days. That way anyone looking after them will be able to find them easily and it should enable me to monitor temperature better. When you say humidity do you mean maybe misting the area with water? I wash the patio section every day with water so that it wet and evaporating. Thanks for getting in touch.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
It's great that you adopted these abandoned tortoises.

Bibi

It's great that you adopted these abandoned tortoises.
Thank you, I just hope I can get up to speed with caring for them. Finding the forum useful. I will post more pics of area etc and ask for input.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
View attachment 201462 View attachment 201463
Gerry Daphnie

Hello all, I live in South Morocco and have recently acquired two tortoises which were left in a villa. I found this forum while trying to get more information and I believe they are spur thigh tortoises, both female. I have found there is a lot of contradictory advice regarding diet on the internet. They now both live outside on a good sized terrace which has both a paved area and soil with a few bushes. They have access to shade (covered areas as well as bushes) and sun throughout the day. I used to weed the area round the bushes but I am now leaving this so little weeds and some blades of grass can grow in the hope that this may be good for them (I have seen them munch on the small shoots). I am primarily feeding lettuce, cucumber, tomato, apple and some shaved carrot. I see on the internet that there are supplements given but I have no idea where I would get them from here. They are called Gerry and Daphnie. I am little concerned that Gerry may have some shell rot just behind her head. They are both eating well and their output looks normal. I am not sure what to clean the patio with now either as we used to use disinfectant or bleach? I would be very grateful for some advice and having looked at your forum you all seemed so friendly!
Hello, Bibi, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum from Fes! :)
Sorry I have taken so long to respond , but I have just come back from a few days fossil hunting in the South of Morocco and visiting some tortoises in the Sousse Valley, near Agadir.
They are probably the southern subspecies of Greek tortoise Testudo graeca soussensis.
Though they are females which seem to be less prone to aggression , you need to be very careful as a lot of signs of bullying are subtle, like snuggling up together, one following the other, sitting on food, sleeping by each other and so on. The signs may not be physical abuse, though this can suddenly occur at any time, but there can be psychological damage.
Local broad leafed greens are best for the diet, prickly pear, though an introduced species, is great, most indigenous weeds are fine. lettuce is okay, but a bit high in water, cucumber only in tiny amounts, carrot likewise if mixed with plenty of other stuff. Don't feed fruit, it is too high in sugar and acids.
Have a look at http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ to see what's safe to feed.
I also like http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm
The ones in bold are the best.
I get my supplements and supplies from Spain, there's nothing here in Morocco.(maybe in Casa, I suppose)
I would give these tortoises soaks as they look pretty dry and make sure they have access to water in which they can sit in and soak (separately).
I just wash my patio and terrace down with water.
Where are you based, if you don't mind me asking ?