Hello From Texas!

texastortoisemom

Hello Everyone! I am Roxanne and live here in San Antonio Texas...I have a 6 year old Ornate Boxie, a 3 year old Redfoot, and a Desert Tortoise I just rescued last year. (age unknown). Here in SA its sunny and in the high 70s/low 80s during the day and gets down into the low 60s at night. I just moved the troops to their outdoor enclosures-just concerned about the temps at night plus with it being spring, unexpected storms..should I bring them in at night, or would they be ok outside? everyone has shelters, however the Desert tort (Bobby) loves to burrow under the Esperanza bush and the boxie (Millie) just digs down in the dirt. The Redfoot, (Jerry) stays in his little concrete home at night..just want to play it safe and avoid any URIs this year. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Most of us lock our torts up at night into some kind of night box or shed or indoor enclosure. Not only to keep them safe from theft by humans or night time varmits but also because those areas are heated in some way to keep them warm during the cooler nights.
So in short, I would get them into some kind of night time enclosure and attach a heat source set on a thermastat. Btw, the torts should not be housed together incase they are. Species should not be mixed for a lot of health reasons.

texastortoisemom

Hello and Welcome. Most of us lock our torts up at night into some kind of night box or shed or indoor enclosure. Not only to keep them safe from theft by humans or night time varmits but also because those areas are heated in some way to keep them warm during the cooler nights.
So in short, I would get them into some kind of night time enclosure and attach a heat source set on a thermastat. Btw, the torts should not be housed together incase they are. Species should not be mixed for a lot of health reasons.
Thank you-I have the desert tort by himself in a very large cinderblock enclosure, and the RF and Boxie share an enclosed pen that is divided in the middle where they cannot see each other or get to each other. I think I will bring them back inside for the night time until summer just to be safe..although they seemed to be a bit perturbed to have to come back in once they get out-LOL

texastortoisemom

So I swear these enclosures were BEAUTIFUL last summer-then they got choked by weeds over the winter-my ex was nice enough to come over and weed eat-so back to home depot today to get plants...in the meantime, is this a good start? All advice/suggestions welcome and appreciated. Thanks guys!!! :)

Bob M.jpeg Bob pen.jpeg Jerry Lee.jpeg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome Roxanne! I'm afraid I can't view these pictures, but it might be due to the app I'm using.

Although...many weeds are tort friendly; you might have a weed goldmine at your fingertips!

texastortoisemom

Welcome Roxanne! I'm afraid I can't view these pictures, but it might be due to the app I'm using.

Although...many weeds are tort friendly; you might have a weed goldmine at your fingertips!
My ex said the same thing-I was going for looks but thankfully in Texas, they will be back by next week LOL