Hello from SoCal

Waz39

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi all,

Excited to join the forum and learn! I have a CDT now. James was a not so healthy “stray” but after some touch and go moments he is doing really well. In my day to day, I get to work with a lot of different species of animals but there is something about tortoises that I find fascinating. I am considering potentially adding a second tortoise, so really here to soak up whatever knowledge I can!

Ali

643A6468-3CAF-4872-BF7A-B230A4678C14.jpeg 5F4C42B6-56BC-4BE9-A3D9-F03A8B21A3F5.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and Welcome!

He looks awfully round. Are you sure he's not a gopher tortoise? @Markw84 ???

(Looks like you already have a second tortoise in the bunker behind James)

Waz39

Southern California
Hi, and Welcome!

He looks awfully round. Are you sure he's not a gopher tortoise? @Markw84 ???

(Looks like you already have a second tortoise in the bunker behind James)

That would make a lot of sense if he was not a CDT, but going with what the vet said. Any insight would be great!

The second guy is a visitor while his enclosure is being worked on.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I agree, Yvonne. Looks more like a gopher G. polyphemus than a desert G. agassazii.

Rounder shape with no flaring of magins
More of a blunt head shape
Gulars end in a rounded end vs. a "V" shape in agassizii

Waz39

Southern California
I agree, Yvonne. Looks more like a gopher G. polyphemus than a desert G. agassazii.

Rounder shape with no flaring of magins
More of a blunt head shape
Gulars end in a rounded end vs. a "V" shape in agassizii

Interesting. Looks like I have some research to do but guessing CDT was the go to given that this guy was found in SoCal and gopher tortoises’ range is southeastern US. This seems like it might complicate things a bit.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Interesting. Looks like I have some research to do but guessing CDT was the go to given that this guy was found in SoCal and gopher tortoises’ range is southeastern US. This seems like it might complicate things a bit.
What is the history of this tortoise? I'll have to agree that this tortoise doesn't present with the same characteristics that I'm familiar with for CDTs.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
He was found by animal control walking down the sidewalk in an urban area in So Cal along with a Sulcata.
Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Walking down the sidewalk along with a Sulcata. So they maybe someone's pat that escaped?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi all,

Excited to join the forum and learn! I have a CDT now. James was a not so healthy “stray” but after some touch and go moments he is doing really well. In my day to day, I get to work with a lot of different species of animals but there is something about tortoises that I find fascinating. I am considering potentially adding a second tortoise, so really here to soak up whatever knowledge I can!

Ali

View attachment 246652 View attachment 246654

That is a super old tort....also the shell looks even more oversized because the tort inside is significantly underweight.....you say "some touch and go moments" do tell :) He is beautiful.

Waz39

Southern California
That is a super old tort....also the shell looks even more oversized because the tort inside is significantly underweight.....you say "some touch and go moments" do tell :) He is beautiful.

He had really bad URI and a parasite (mucous in stool). He also has some minor deformities on the plastron, presumably from minor MBD. Probably one of the worst RI have seen though, draining snot, eyes swollen and lots of pus, could hear him wheezing from feet away. Early on there would be multiple period with days of no activity and refusing to eat. We are a few weeks past this now and he is super active, poop is looking better, and eating really well. He is really inquisitive and has a ton of personality.

Waz39

Southern California
Also, can you share what you are seeing to determine that he is old?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't know anything about this species but should the visitor be in with your tort?
I thought torts needed to be quarantined before being mixed with others - especially if there has been illness in one.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also, can you share what you are seeing to determine that he is old?

Super smooth and aged shell (a good thing)
Super smooth legs
Size and girth of the gular horn
Also, the tort just appears to be much older

I also would not allow the new tort in with your resident tort....because the new tort can catch the RI as well as the new tort can spread illness to your resident tort and the immune system is just starting to recharge....