hello from SC!! Crouton Dave's owner

CroutonDave

Hello everyone!! I am new to this forum. I have a 3 yr old 20lb sulcata named Crouton Dave (Crouton for short). He is a handful and a half :) He lives outside in a modifies doghouse just about ready to graduate to his 10×12 barnstyle shed. Any advice on heating is welcomed (well all advice is welcomed) :) . I am currently trying to figure out the best way to heat his shed the most efficiently.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I would use a portable oil filled space heater. I use one here in Chicago, along with basking lights and Che for night time more direct heat. You probably don't need as much as I do. Put the heater on a thermostat and with a little adjusting, it should work great.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Crouton Dave.
Not sure tortoises would make good croutons.
They would sink in the soup.
Have you looked under the enclosures section?
Lots of good ides there.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I've found an important item , not to be overlooked with heat is insulation , top sides even bottom depending on how many degrees difference you have to heat. You can spend allot of $ heating the great outdoors with a poorly insulated box/ shed.

The oil radiant heaters are cost and heat efficient , durable and pretty safe You can build a little wall around them so tort can't touch them.

The flap door ( if you use that , should be fairly thick plastic and overlap well. I used clear auto floor mats to make mine.

20# is a nice 3 yo. I have one that age that's only 9#.
Welcome.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome from the desert !
m0754.gif