Hello from Red!

Red Leader

Hi all, I stumbled across this forum after a bit of google action, and have joined just now in the hope of getting some clear and straight advice on a Tortoise that I have inherited. His name is Timmy, and he was my Dad's oldest acquaintance for 69 years in total.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
Welcome to the forum. What species is it? Any pictures of him? His enclosure?

Red Leader

Hi Hingeback.

Hi, I think he is a European Thigh-Spurred Tortoise. I am in the UK.

I will try and upload a shot in minute or so.

Oh, and his enclosure is just the back garden (yard). It is tortoise proof, so he just roams around out there all spring and summer. He is hibernating right now (usually from November to March / April).

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Red Leader

I will indeed. His full name is Timothy Titus. And strangley enough my father went on to name me Timothy too!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, to you and Timmy. :tort: He's beautiful. GOD bless.

You mentioned Timmy's roaming around in the yard during Summer, which is more than normal. I believe that the wild is the right place for these cute little animals. However, I would like to point out that they could....

a) hide
b) get stolen
c) get lost

Please do not misunderstand me: I do not mean to scare/worry you. All I mean is: take care please. :)

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hello and welcome to the forum the 2 Timmy's. Wow 69 years old god bless him and your father for having such a great respect for this tortoise. And hope you have him for just as long.

Red Leader

A very warm welcome to the forum, to you and Timmy. :tort: He's beautiful. GOD bless.

You mentioned Timmy's roaming around in the yard during Summer, which is more than normal. I believe that the wild is the right place for these cute little animals. However, I would like to point out that they could....

a) hide
b) get stolen
c) get lost

Please do not misunderstand me: I do not mean to scare/worry you. All I mean is: take care please. :)
Thanks Gillian. To be fair, all my childhood I have grown up with him wandering around the garden. Over the years he has wandered out of the garden about 6 or 7 times, and we were really lucky that people in the neighbourhood knew he was ours and used to bring him to the house.

My Dad agreed that they should be in the wild, but he was an eleventh Birthday persent to my Dad, and we believe he was fully grown when he had him, as he has measured him year on year and he has always remained about 140mm in length.

He is now in a tortoise proofed back garden, and he has been enjoying the freedom of the yard for about 30 years here.

He does hide a lot, but only when he knows the weather is getting cold or its going to rain. In fact he is a pretty good barometer!

And yes, they are worth a lot of money here, so we are careful not to let people know we have a tortoise roaming the yard.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks Gillian. To be fair, all my childhood I have grown up with him wandering around the garden. Over the years he has wandered out of the garden about 6 or 7 times, and we were really lucky that people in the neighbourhood knew he was ours and used to bring him to the house.

My Dad agreed that they should be in the wild, but he was an eleventh Birthday persent to my Dad, and we believe he was fully grown when he had him, as he has measured him year on year and he has always remained about 140mm in length.

He is now in a tortoise proofed back garden, and he has been enjoying the freedom of the yard for about 30 years here.

He does hide a lot, but only when he knows the weather is getting cold or its going to rain. In fact he is a pretty good barometer!

And yes, they are worth a lot of money here, so we are careful not to let people know we have a tortoise roaming the yard.
Hi. How is Timmy doing? Hope to hear he''s well.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Hello. So how is Timmy doing today? Hope to hear he's fine.