Hello from NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hi, I've posted in a few threads already, but forgot to do a formal introduction. My name is Andrea and my family (husband and 3 teenage boys) are now the proud owners of a 1 month old Sulcata tortoise that we brought home with us after going to a Reptile Show. We live in South Jersey in the Pinelands and we also have 2 dogs (Raven and Tess), a mini pot belly pig (Patrick), a Leopard Gecko (Amber), a Crocodile Gecko (Spike), an Albino Cornsnake (Ekans), and lots of chickens, ducks, geese and guineas. I have already learned a lot by reading this forum and am excited to learn more from the great people on this site.

BTW: We haven't name our tort yet since we don't know whether he/she is a boy or a girl. Suggestions are welcome. :)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hello Andrea, nice to have another East Coaster here, I love the area where you live, I used to try to collect herps in the Pine Barrens 40 years ago, and it was a beautiful wilderness area, Was mainly looking for corn snakes and timber rattlers,but usually ended up just partying and having a good time,more than once getting the jeep stuck in that cold dark water.Hope it hasn't developed into a metropolis. And for the name, I use names that could be used for either sex, Len

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
Hi, Andrea----I'm in Jersey as well, and have a Sulcata, Mortimer. Morty was 6 0z. when I got him--- today 13.5 lbs. My only advise is "be prepared for the Long--Cold winter months[as I'm sure you already know] and take lots of pic's [with an object for size ref---they grow and change almost over-night]. Have fun!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Andrea: Thanks for introducing yourself, and welcome to the forum!!

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Hello from Jersey also :) I'm in Central Jersey - but have been to the Pines many times herping :D That's where I saw my first wild box turtle. I don't have a Sulcata, but do have 2 Leopard Tortoises. You will learn alot on here! Good luck with the little one.

Saranna

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum :)
Thanks for the nice introduction, if you have any pics of your animals and reptiles, do not hesitate to post them! We live pics :D

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Andrea - welcome! I used to live in South Jersey as well - Cherry Hill - great place to live!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Andrea :)

Have you gotten your permit from the state for your Sulcata?

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
egyptiandan said:

Danny

They have to get a permit? Do they also have to pay a fee? Lifetime of the tortoise permit or yearly or what?

Before I forget this part...Nice having you here!

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
egyptiandan said:

Danny

Thanks for the welcome. I just did a search on the NJDEP Divison of Fish and Wildlife. They do not mention needing a permit for tortoise.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/permreq.htm

I guess I should call to make sure as the list says: (a) Exotic species and nongame species requiring a permit for possession include, but are not limited to the following:

I just sent them an e-mail. FYI this is their contact info for anyone interested. Exotic and Nongame Permits Office (908) 735-5450 or email [email protected].

As far as getting permits which I do have for our gecko and cornsnake, it is a yearly fee of $10 and expires every Dec 31st. It covers all the animals on 1 permit. If there are any changes during the year I believe it is an extra $2 fee.

We are fairly new to herping. As I have the 3 teenage boys I don't know how I've gotten away without it before now. LOL. My boys are in 4-H with their many chickens, ducks, geese and guineas. Some how it seemed sort of natural to move into herpetology as well.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I'm surprised but pleased to see how many people in NJ have tortoise as well. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
froghaven5 said:
egyptiandan said:

Danny

Thanks for the welcome. I just did a search on the NJDEP Divison of Fish and Wildlife. They do not mention needing a permit for tortoise.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/permreq.htm

I guess I should call to make sure as the list says: (a) Exotic species and nongame species requiring a permit for possession include, but are not limited to the following:

I just sent them an e-mail. FYI this is their contact info for anyone interested. Exotic and Nongame Permits Office (908) 735-5450 or email [email protected].

As far as getting permits which I do have for our gecko and cornsnake, it is a yearly fee of $10 and expires every Dec 31st. It covers all the animals on 1 permit. If there are any changes during the year I believe it is an extra $2 fee.

We are fairly new to herping. As I have the 3 teenage boys I don't know how I've gotten away without it before now. LOL. My boys are in 4-H with their many chickens, ducks, geese and guineas. Some how it seemed sort of natural to move into herpetology as well.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I'm surprised but pleased to see how many people in NJ have tortoise as well. :)

Thanks for explaining that. I had no idea (just too many states for me to keep up with:D). My children did reptiles in 4H too! They are also the main reason I got into reptiles. :)

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Well it looks like I do need a permit for my tortoise. Just got an e-mail back with the following reply:
Tortoises do require an Individual Hobby Permit to be kept as a pet in New Jersey. Please find the application attached. Turtles and tortoises may not be bought or sold in New Jersey, so you must provide documentation showing that the animal was purchased legally out of state.

Thank you,
Wildlife Permits Unit

Looks like I'll have to contact the vendor again to get a receipt so I can get the permit.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Andrea, Welcome! I am in the Pine Barrens as well!!!! We could be neighbors! I will send you a pm with my info. Always nice to know someone in the area.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
jlyoncc1 said:
Andrea, Welcome! I am in the Pine Barrens as well!!!! We could be neighbors! I will send you a pm with my info. Always nice to know someone in the area.

Got your pm. We are neighbors! How cool! Will have to have a tortoise play date :D

Status
Not open for further replies.