Hello from Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyedPiper

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!

I'm a long time tort fan and I'm just getting back into the hobby. Looking for a nice little tortoise that I can manage to house here in Michigan with a good personality. I've been out of the trade for a while, but I've personally owned a sulcata in the past and had numerous different species come through the pet shop I used to work at (I ran the reptile department).

Thanks for having me!

Seth

FlyedPiper

5 Year Member
Thanks!

Anyone have a recommendation on a small species with a good personality? I'm looking at cherry redfoots and Hermann's currently. I'd like something I don't have to hibernate... ease of care and lower cost is a plus too...

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
welcome! a redfoot, hermann's or russian would be a great choice.

jrholls

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maine
I'm totally hooked on russian torts :tort: Great personallity, and hibernation (so I've been told) is optional. Our Russian is lively and happy (not to mention hungry) :) here in April after not hibernating this winter. Welcom to the forum from Maine :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome Seth! You said a nice little type, correct? We all have differences as to when little becomes medium sized and for me the cherryheads are medium, not small. :D Hermanni are great and such pretty tortoises. Have you checked out Greeks? Russians do not have to hibernate, so that one is a maybe you want to look at again. Are you wanting something you can find locally or would you be willing to have it shipped in? That may be the real factor in deciding which one to go for. ;) What ever you decide on, I look forward to seeing him or her and getting to know you better. Enjoy checking out the various threads and getting to know some of the different tortoises better. :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Seth:

Welcome to the forum!!

FlyedPiper

5 Year Member
Wow, thanks for the warm welcome! Getting one shipped to me is not a problem. I'd prefer a captive bred animal. Not sure if Russians are available as CB yet? I know they weren't years ago when I sold them. I really like the look of the Hermanni. Is it necessary to hibernate them or is that more for breeding purposes?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to the forum!

I am from Michigan also. I have a little Jordanian/Antakyan Greek that is the most outgoing of all of my tortoises, but I love my Russians too ;)

It isn't necessary to hibernate them. Many people do a "cool down" period to get them ready to breed, but a lot of people also have breeding success without any of that.

FlyedPiper

5 Year Member
Cool. Good to know. I like the Greeks too. A little cheaper as well. I'm just looking for a small tort that is personable. Something I can pass down to my kids as well as manage long term. I've owned almost every other form of herp and torts just capture my heart. I'd like something I could keep in a 10 gallon for a while before building a tortoise shelf for the winter. I've read you need to put some form of blinds around the bottom 6" of the tank so they know not to run into the glass. Any other ideas? I can let the tort out in the yard for 2 or 3 seasons of sunlight, otherwise I'm getting a full spectrum light. I don't want to have to worry about hibernation though. I think the redfoots are going to be too big for my needs. I'm seriously looking at hermanni and greeks.

kyryah said:
Welcome to the forum!

I am from Michigan also. I have a little Jordanian/Antakyan Greek that is the most outgoing of all of my tortoises, but I love my Russians too ;)

It isn't necessary to hibernate them. Many people do a "cool down" period to get them ready to breed, but a lot of people also have breeding success without any of that.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You are worrying too much about hibernation. You do not HAVE to hibernate. In the wild, they hibernate because they have to, because it gets cold. If you are keeping a tortoise indoors through the winter months and keeping it warm, there is no reason for hibernation.

A 10 gallon, even for a tiny baby Greek, is going to be too small. You won't be able to get any sort of a temperature gradient in it. I start my babies in 20 gallon or 15 gallon long tanks (same footprint as a 20) but they don't last very long, because they grow quite a bit in the first year. I like the aquariums because they hold humidity better, which appears to be most important in the first 12 months or so of life to prevent pyramiding and dehydration.

Here is an article I wrote specifically for people that just have gotten or are going to get their first tortoise. Having a basic knowledge of herpetology is a great start, but there are a lot of "facts" about keeping tortoises that are very incorrect. This will give you an insight into different types of enclosures, lighting needs, etc.

I also suggest NOT getting a brand new hatchling for your first tortoise. Hatchlings can be tricky, and when one fails it causes a lot of heartache. A 6 month old or yearling would be your best bet. We have a couple of members here that breed Greeks and Hermanns, I am sure you will have no trouble finding a healthy youngster.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1IsPb3lcd

Status
Not open for further replies.