Hello from Liverpool

Huw

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
hello my name is Huw. I live in Liverpool, England.
Im adopting a tortoise soon so
Im gonna pore over this site to get as much help as i can!
I visited Ozzy today and im a bit worried that she hasnt been
Properly looked after.
I think ive attached a photo!

Any help greatly appreciated!

IMG_5676.JPG

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Huw

I'm in Kent. Mum's Welsh and I'm guessing you have Welsh ancestry too with that spelling of your name :)

Ozzy is indeed in a bit of a pickle. He's been kept to dry which is what causes the lumpy shell (pyramidding) and his beak is overgrown and needs clipping.

You can clip the beak yourself a little at a time using nail clippers or find a vet experienced with torts to do it for you.

I suggest you start by reading some care threads written by TFO's tame experts

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Ozzy looks like a Hermann's tort
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Ozzy's diet should be leafy weedy greens. He can't digest sugars properly - it causes digestive and kidney problems - so fruit, tomato, pepper and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally - if at all.

Huw

Liverpool
Hi Joe's Mum!
Iam indeed Welsh!
(tortoise in Welsh is crwban by the way!)
I am worried about Ozzy.
Do you think the long beak is causing her discomfort?
Can the pyramiding be easily remedied?
She wont be moving in for a few weeks. Im worried she wont get the care she needs in her current
Home

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The overgrown beak makes feeding difficult. It's a sign that a tort has only been fed pellets and doesn't get chance to tear at food.

Grazing on a weedy lawn, tearing at whole leaves and chomping on cuttle bone help to wear it down naturally. Also using a piece of flat slate or rock as a food plate helps to wear the beak too.

The pyramidding won't go away, but it will become less obvious as Ozzy grows

They're tough little guys. You can sort things out :)

Ask us before buying anything and post photos as you create Ozzy's new home. We'll help you get it right :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome to the forum! Lots of great info here...Joe's mum provided you the way forward. Get the beak trimmed back, cuttlebone, diet, soakings.....etc.

Welcome!

Huw

Liverpool
Thanks everyone!

Officially less worried now!

Really looking forward to having a Tortoise friend

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my! The nails!! The beak!! The shell!! That poor little guy. He's so lucky to have been placed with you now. . . someone who obviously cares about doing the right thing for this tortoise. The nails are a good indicator that the pyramiding isn't just cosmetic, but includes Metabolic Bone Disease, or calcium deficiency. While you're waiting to get the tortoise read up on calcium-rich foods so you can be prepared to feed this tortoise properly. If you're aren't setting him up outside, then be sure to also get a GOOD UVB light, because calcium doesn't work (making bones and shell strong) unless it is coupled with UVB - either from the sun or a GOOD light.

Huw

Liverpool
Thanks for your reply Yvonne.
Is there anything i should give to Ozzy now? Although she isnt in my house yet i can visit again soon.

Im so keen to get her home happy and well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's no hurry. In fact, when you do get her, you may need to change over the diet very slowly to get her used to the taste of the good-for- her food.