Hello everyone from Liverpool England

Jenanprid

Hi i am from liverpool england and i am getting my tortoise tomorrow i have most of the stuff i need. I am just wondering if anyone in my area knows where i buy there lettus and other plant foods from as i have been told not to buy it from the supermarkets. Can anyone help!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome!
If you let us know what species you are getting then someone will point you in the right direction for the care sheets which will tell you all about diet, temps, humidity and substrate etc. www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe plants for food and enclosures. Weeds like dandelions, clover etc are the best food for torts but in the winter we often have to buy shop food. Iceberg lettuce, little gems etc., aren't good but there are some bags that have a better mix. For my leopard I use Florette classic crispy salad, Tesco mixed salad, Sainsburys mixed leaf salad, Aldi mild leaf and their crispy salad (but I take the iceberg lettuce out). Romaine is ok now and again, as is kale, spring greens, pak choi - variety is the key! Cucumber and tomatoes are ok as occasional treats but not much nutritional value in them. The caresheet for your species will give you much better advice tailored to you tort
The Beginners Mistakes (link below) is a good place to learn how to avoid mistakes made by others and the Enclosures thread will help you with your set up.
If you can post pics of your enclosure members will advise on any changes you can make if needed to make it as safe as possible for your tort. Pet shops don't usually give correct advice for care of torts as they are just interested in profit and often sell the wrong substrate for the species or unsafe equipment like coiled bulbs which could damage tort eyes; inaccurate dial thermometers or deep water dishes with ramps which can cause the tort to tip back and drown. So better safe than sorry and check things with folks here.
There's more to looking after torts than you think, as I found out, but thankfully there's lots of experienced keepers here who are very happy to help and never tire of answering questions so ask as many as you need.