Hello from High Point, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodijac1

5 Year Member
400768_635342169812902_1414128484_n.jpgHello all,

I have a 1 year old female Sulcata Tortoise named Bob. She is a very friendly tortoise, even to our big 110lb Lab and to 2 young kids. I came on here to find out how to care for her the proper way. I want her to be happy and healthy.
Thanks,
Kodi
:D

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) first off let me say, dogs and tortoises never mix well. Never leave the dog unattended around the torts. There are many threads already of the injuries and even death that will happen.
Second, take a look at To s threads below. They all are great reads and the sully and leopard ones will pertain to what you should do. If you start now, you can get your sully growing smoother and the pyramiding that he has will eventually look better. It will never go away, but will less with age.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hi and welcome!!
I am sure you will get replies soon. Tom is our expert on here!! :) It looks like she needs some soaking! She looks dry. I do know they need a lot of humidity!! Is she getting plenty of sunshine? If you can find any of Tom's posts, look on the bottom. He has everyhing you need to know. Good luck!! :)

kodijac1

5 Year Member
luvpetz27 said:
Hi and welcome!!
I am sure you will get replies soon. Tom is our expert on here!! :) It looks like she needs some soaking! She looks dry. I do know they need a lot of humidity!! Is she getting plenty of sunshine? If you can find any of Tom's posts, look on the bottom. He has everyhing you need to know. Good luck!! :)

I have been taking her out for about 1hr a day to graze and be in the sun. I am in the process of building her a big home in our sun room and a outdoor enclosure. How many times does she need to soak in water? I have only had her 3 weeks now and I was told only 1-2 times a week.

kodijac1

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) first off let me say, dogs and tortoises never mix well. Never leave the dog unattended around the torts. There are many threads already of the injuries and even death that will happen.
Second, take a look at To s threads below. They all are great reads and the sully and leopard ones will pertain to what you should do. If you start now, you can get your sully growing smoother and the pyramiding that he has will eventually look better. It will never go away, but will less with age.

Thank you for the good info. I have done a lot of research, but you know how that goes, you never know what to believe. I am just glad I found this forum to help me out.

kodijac1

5 Year Member
How much sun and water? I was told 1hr a day for the sun and 1-2 times a week to soak her in water. I read here that she should have water all the time. Is this correct?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As much sun as possible, as long as you provide shade. Minimum amount of sun, an hour or two three days a week. Soaking, I would do every other day until she is around two years or 7-8 inches. Water should be available 24/7.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kodi, and welcome to the Forum! I think, in about 5 years, you're going to find that "Bob" suits your tortoise better than you thought. I'm willing to bet he's a boy and not a girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.