Hello from Hermes!

TankLizardHermes

tumblr_inline_nxep7o8T2c1txn5zm_500.jpg

We got Hermes yesterday, I'm a bit of a newbie, though of course did some research picking up our little buddy!
I need ideas for Herme's table, we now have tortoise life substrate in there instead of the aspen that we got free with the set up and have a UVB and heat light combined so far - but have ordered a separate UVB bar.
We have set up a little cosy hide with a plant pot and the bigger hide is built in to the table but I'd ideally like to plant some tort-friendly plants and put some stones in there too.
So hi! Any and all tips are welcome!

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
I use coir soil with a layer of cypress mulch for bedding. Babies like to borrow and hide so make it deep. I use flower pots for hides and use moss to keep moist.

Also make sure you have a warm and a cool side to the habitat and have hides on both sides. Also be sure to soak the little one daily.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have that species but there is a great caresheet under the hermanns section. Be sure a cool humid side is not too cool. Cold and damp makes a sick tort. The caresheet should explain the correct temps needed
Hello and Welcome and Congrats

TankLizardHermes

The cool side temp is 80'F and the warm side is just under 90'F bit concerned there's not enough temperature difference though?
He has a soil substrate, with some bark, some pansies planted in my own compost so no pesticides, and a slate stone for putting food on and for basking so it retains some heat :)
He's become much more lively today since changing the substrate and making different sections, I'm definitely becoming proud of his table!
2uo2nq1.jpg

That's his hide :)

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
The hot spot under the lamp should be 95 to 100, cool should be 75 to 80. At night you want the whole habitat to cool into the 60s.

TankLizardHermes

Have adjusted the position of the lamp and have another coming tomorrow, there's a heat mat in the hide to maintain a standard temp of 80 - he's only a baby so it needs to be a little bit warmer I was told :) Going to get a ceramic heat thingy tomorrow and a thermostat too so I can control the temperature better.
right now it's 66'F and he's asleep :)