Hello from California!

RoshiTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello everyone, meet Roshi! She became a part of my family on May 24th 2017 and she is my first leopard tortoise. I have had her for 8 days now and I am still learning about what foods she enjoys eating. I am a beginner when it comes to raising tortoises, so I would be very grateful for feedback and advice on caring for Roshi. I was told that she is a pardalis babcocki, but I am unsure because she has two spots on one of her scutes. Would someone be able to clarify for me if she is a p.babcocki or a p.pardalis please?

The photo of her in my hand is the first time I held her after taking her out of the package box. The photos of her enclosure were taken today, 8 days after having her.

Roshi1.JPG Roshi3.jpg Roshi2.jpg

Rachael403

NE, USA
Welcome to the forum. The tort experts will be around at some point to give you pointers on your new kiddo. Roshi is too cute!

I do know the temp gage you have is not accurate... so you need to get a new one. The experts will probably have a picture saved on their computer which ones you need to get.

RoshiTheTortoise

California
Welcome to the forum. The tort experts will be around at some point to give you pointers on your new kiddo. Roshi is too cute!

I do know the temp gage you have is not accurate... so you need to get a new one. The experts will probably have a picture saved on their computer which ones you need to get.

Thank you, I will look for a new temp gauge!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome.

I prefer to have my baby enclosures filled with plants, either real or fake. It gives the baby a sense of safety/security. It also helps to keep the humidity inside. Figuring out a way to cover that open enclosure would also help to keep it warm and humid inside.

baby habitat 3-29-16 a.jpg baby habitat 3-29-16 b.jpg

RoshiTheTortoise

California
Welcome.

I prefer to have my baby enclosures filled with plants, either real or fake. It gives the baby a sense of safety/security. It also helps to keep the humidity inside. Figuring out a way to cover that open enclosure would also help to keep it warm and humid inside.

View attachment 209232 View attachment 209233

Hello Yvonne G, thank you for your advice! I cover up her enclosure at night, but I will also do so during the day to keep the humidity up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

RoshiTheTortoise

California
Hello and welcome. Your tortoise is a mix of different types of leopards from different parts of the range.

Low sided sweater boxes are the worst possible way to raise this species and you will get substantial pyramiding if you don't change it. Gove these a read through:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Hello and thank you Tom. I was curious as to what subspecies my leopard tortoise was. As of now, I put saran wrap/cling film over the enclosure, leaving a portion in the corner open for the MVB light to go through on the basking side. The temperature is 90 and the humidity is usually around 70%. Thank you for sending me the links! They were very helpful! I have been taking a look at many other peoples' enclosures on tortoiseforum as well as on YouTube and getting ideas to improve on my enclosure. I plan on picking up more supplies this weekend and move her into a new enclosure.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been taking a look at many other peoples' enclosures on tortoiseforum as well as on YouTube and getting ideas to improve on my enclosure. I plan on picking up more supplies this weekend and move her into a new enclosure.

That sounds great! If any questions pop up, we are happy to help. We've all come here to talk tortoises, so fire away with whatever tortoise questions that occur to you.