Hello from Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your new turtle.My sisters husband is from Opp, just down the road from you. Len

Kelcon

5 Year Member
??Len?? said:
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your new turtle.My sisters husband is from Opp, just down the road from you. Len

Awesome maybe we could set a play date lol

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Kelcon said:
Enterprise Alabama

My apologies for not welcoming you, I thought I already had. Here is goes... Hi and Welcome:D

Kelcon

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Glad to hear he is eating! :)

Me to we are both so happy right now he keeps trying to get to some towels in my rooms so I decided to fold a small one and now he is sleeping on it.... guess he likes it so im doing it for now... plus he is admiring himself in my mirror rofl

Kelcon

5 Year Member
[/quote]

My apologies for not welcoming you, I thought I already had. Here is goes... Hi and Welcome:D
[/quote]

Are you from Alabama also or close by?

Kelcon

5 Year Member
I got around to measuring him today from head to tail he is 11.3 inches and from side to side he is 8.1 inches.... I don't know if im reading this information right but Spartacus looks like a record for Eastern Box Turtles... but its kinda weird i've seen a lot of animals lately in my area that are.... a lot bigger then they use to be all of a sudden... guess something is in the water

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Kelcon said:
I got around to measuring him today from head to tail he is 11.3 inches and from side to side he is 8.1 inches.... I don't know if im reading this information right but Spartacus looks like a record for Eastern Box Turtles... but its kinda weird i've seen a lot of animals lately in my area that are.... a lot bigger then they use to be all of a sudden... guess something is in the water
Nuclear radiation, remember Godzilla

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kelcon said:
How did you measure him, over the top of his shell? A measurement should be taken "straight line". Here is an example thread showing how to do it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-to-measure-your-tortoise#axzz1L9iEmyYx

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT

[/quote]

Are you from Alabama also or close by?
[/quote]

I lived in Gulf Shore's for a few years.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
So great to hear that he ate for you! Are you keeping him, then? Good luck with him if you are! :)

Kelcon

5 Year Member
Floof said:
So great to hear that he ate for you! Are you keeping him, then? Good luck with him if you are! :)

Well im keeping him for now but if theres any problems im taking him to a vet and then dropping him back off from where he came... I love turtles and dont want to cause them any trouble... its weird though he is very calm around humans except for the occasional retraction if you move to fast by him... I think he might of been a pet at some point in time because he was not anywhere near his habitat...since I found him I went back to where I got him and covered about a good 200 acres of land... no water source no real hiding areas... no forest... I did find a small broken cage that had been tossed away that had a small water tray and some dead worms in it.... it was completely smashed my guess would be from the impact it had on the road... I had spartacus with me at the time and sized him up and he fits but barely... his small fracture could of been caused by this and there was some turtle poop inside it....
I really wish I could find who did this to him... then again id probably run them over with my car or cause some other kinda of bodily harm. So for now im calling him a rescue I just need to find out more information on him... he wont hand feed just yet but I haven't really tried except with veggies and he isnt having any of that he just seems to like animals... worms to be exact

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Wow! Yes, hearing that, it sounds very plausible that that is exactly the case. Unfortunately, people can be idiots when it comes to pets. My first tortoise was a 6" Russian who came to me in a 20 gallon "tall" tank--about 2 ft long and a foot wide. My first and last box turtle, a 4" Eastern, came with a tall 15 gallon tank, maybe 20" long and 10" wide. Both were atrocious situations, but perfect examples of what far too many people delude themselves into thinking is "good" turtle care.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that someone picked him up from his natural habitat and kept him in that little tank as their kid's pet for a few weeks, and when the kid got bored, just dumped it on the side of the road. Poor little guy...

Kelcon

5 Year Member
Well I got big plans for him because he is really smart im working on something thats gonna be about 3 feet wide and 8 feet long

Kelcon

5 Year Member
We'll a little update Spartacus is doing fine... he still isnt fond of any greens yet but I got him to eat atleast worms...right now he is staring at strawberries so I think he is warming up to the idea.... His shell is looking much better and he is still the cutest thing I've ever seen... On our walk today he decided to chase one of the neighborhood cats (pretty hilarious)... I've had a few animals in my life dogs, chickens, scorpions, and a another turtle when I was younger. I loved them all but theres just something about this little turtle thats brightens up my day.... I don't know how to explain it... even when I was typing this he just pooped and I just cant help but laugh and be amazed lol... sigh.. I wanted to thank all of you for this wonderful forum full of information and the help I have received... Spartacus thanks you too... im gonna finally go to bed after 43 hours of turtle watch cya all later

Kelcon

5 Year Member
He still isnt eating any greens yet anyone have suggestions on how to get him to eat them

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its not that important.

Some box turtles really go for the red/green-leaf lettuce.

Here's a couple recipes that I use (not my own inventions, picked up off the web):

Box turtle food

In food processor:
1 head of Collared Greens
1/2 head of Romaine Lettuce
1 green bell pepper
2 yellow crookneck squash
8 large strawberries

I microwaved til cooked, then mashed-
2 sweet potatoes
1 butternut squash

I mixed all this, then added-
1 22 ounce can of Alpo Beef Chunks in Gravy
2 tablespoons calcium carbonate
1 tablespoon Reptile Vitamins with beta carotene

BOX TURTLE JELLO

Yams (slightly cooked, then mashed Pedigree can puppy food (not too much)
Thawed peas & carrots Meat*
Fruit*

Put in food processor & mix until it forms a very thick paste. They eat it voraciously, as do the adults. I also feed soaked Reptomin and live foods.

*Meat – beef liver, chicken parts
*Fruit – strawberry, peach, banana, mango, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOX TURTLE BRITTLE

1 Ripe canteloup or honeydew 1 cup mashed fruit/berries*
1 can low cal dog food or cooked 2 cans snails thoroughly rinsed
ground turkey 1 ½ cups chopped leafy greens*
2 tsp RepCal calcium with Vit. D3 2 tsp RepCal Herptivite multivitamin

Mash the banana and/or berries and add chopped melon. Add low cal dog food or ground turkey and mix thoroughly. Add snails, chopped greens, calcium powder and vitamins. Mix thoroughly and freeze in individual meal-sized portions.

*Greens – dandelion, endive, escarole, collard, swiss chard, bok choy, romaine lettuce
*Fruits/berries – banana, pear, apple, strawberry, blue berry, raspberry, mango, kiwi

Kelcon

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Its not that important.

Oh I thought it was I was reading that as they get older 60% of their diet is plant life..... I got spring mix and some mushrooms from the store today gonna try that out and see how it goes he seems to be drinking more water now then he was previously and his habitat is coming a long nicely :D

Status
Not open for further replies.