Hello from a newbe

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
Wow! Such a subtle difference that I would have never noticed! Thank you! Seriously, thank you!! And thank you also for not pointing out my ignorance. *blush*. This is exactly the reason why I am here and you all are being super helpful! In some of the Sulcata pics I've been looking at, I also noticed some of them have more spikey scales on their legs as apposed to smooth. Just out of curiosity, why is that?
maybe for more protection.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Deirdra, and welcome to the Forum!

From the looks of Morla's shell, she was captive bred and is not a wild caught desert tortoise. You mentioned that the person who found Morla had tried to find her owner and was not able to.

The care for sulcatas and desert tortoises is the same. Morla needs to be outside where she can wander and graze on plants and grasses. She might even want to hibernate, she's certainly big enough for that.

I'm not familiar with the Arizona laws concerning keeping desert tortoises, but here in California it is legal, you just have to get a permit. Whatever you do, DO NOT RELEASE her into the wild. She is not a wild tortoise.

Deirdra

Phoenix AZ
Thank you Yvonne! I do believe what you said to be true. She is far to comfortable with people to be wild. At least that's my perception. I mean, would a wild tortoise follow people around? LOL! I researched the AZ laws and such and all we need to do is register her with Fish & Wildlife. No permit needed. So I told her owner all that I learned between all of you as well as the AZ fish & wildlife.. so he knows if/when he takes her back what he has to do. He said he'll be picking her up soon. :( So it seems her time here with us will be short. But I've been seeking out a tortoise rescue to see if we can find a baby of our own!

Deirdra

Phoenix AZ
Thank you Yvonne and everyone! I do believe what you said to be true. She is far to comfortable with people to be wild. At least that's my perception. I mean, would a wild tortoise follow people around? LOL! I researched the AZ laws and such and all we need to do is register her with Fish & Wildlife. No permit needed. So I told her owner all that I learned between all of you as well as the AZ fish & wildlife.. so he knows if/when he takes her back what he has to do. He said he'll be picking her up soon. :( So it seems her time here with us will be short. But I've been seeking out a tortoise rescue to see if we can find a baby of our own!