newbe introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

quax

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
My name is John and my tortoise is a yr old female leopard named shelly.
I bought shelly from a local breeder about 3 months ago. The breeder fed her mainly on wet salad veg with added calcium powder and I have been weening her onto the correct diet. Although she has been a bit stubborn she is now mainly eating a few wild leaves and flowers and I have started adding some timothy hay. However, I recently noticed her blow a bubble from her nose and it turns out to be a small obstruction. I have antibiotics for her and will start her on them tomorrow but would like some advice on preventing it happening again and how to clear it if it does. Regards John.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi John:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I think I'm missing something. Why would you feel the tortoise needs antibiotics for a small obstruction in the nasal passage? All you need to do is remove the obstruction. ???

If the tortoise truly does have a respiratory infection, has been tested and you know for sure this is what is wrong, then you should be aware that Baytril (the antibiotic of choice for resp. infections in tortoises) is sometimes not accepted well by leopard tortoises. Some leopards are allergic to Baytril.

It has been my experience that leopard tortoises aren't too interested in eating hay or dried grass.

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome! John typically when torts blow bubbles it's a upper respiratory infection. Caused by a drastic change in temperature. Too hot to too cold over an extended period of time. A great way to get it out of her system is to increase the temperature to a minimum of 85 and no less. Basking area to 100 for at least 1 month.

Oh boy I missed that sentence of the obstruction. (was reading too fast) yeah if you know there is an obstruction different methods need to be taken. More info, photos perhaps, and whom scripted the Meds.

quax

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the welcomes and advice. Vet said colour of liquid was slightly yellow and the right nare is swollen indicating infection. Prescribed baytril at 2.5%, 0.1ml once a day for seven days, orally. She did not like it at all and most ran back out her mouth. I was not happy with the vet and will book another asap. Vet said he could see the obstruction but made no attempt to remove it. Regards john

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
John:

If it were my tortoise, I'd take the Baytril back to the vet and ask for a different antibiotic. Some leopard tortoises, in fact more than some, most leopard tortoises are allergic to Baytril. I would not give my leopard tortoises Baytril.

It sounds like the "obstruction" he was talking about was just the swelling.

quax

5 Year Member
Ok thanks yvonne. Is there an antibiotic you can suggest or others to beware of. Im going to take her to a qualified reptile and tortoise vet but cannot afford it for two weeks at least. I'll take your advice on th e baytril so should I just swab it clean with cooled boiled waterwater until I get her to someone else?

Once again thank you.

John

quax

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
Hello John welcome to the forum would love to some pic's :)

Hi Corey,

I have attached a pic of shelly. Hope it works, still trying to figure it all out.

Regards john.

Attachments

• DSC_0041-1.jpg
    DSC_0041-1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 8

quax

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
John:

If it were my tortoise, I'd take the Baytril back to the vet and ask for a different antibiotic. Some leopard tortoises, in fact more than some, most leopard tortoises are allergic to Baytril. I would not give my leopard tortoises Baytril.

It sounds like the "obstruction" he was talking about was just the swelling.

Hi yvonne,
I have attached a close up of shelly's face. I would be grateful if you could give me your opinion on the yellowish patch. Is it a stain from funny nose or natural colour? Thanks
John

Attachments

• DSC_0040-1.jpg
    DSC_0040-1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 10

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hello and welcome! Shelly looks like a nice Leopard. How did you happen to decide to get a Leopard?

quax

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hello and welcome! Shelly looks like a nice Leopard. How did you happen to decide to get a Leopard?

Hi jacqui,
Thanks for the welcome. I just came across her when I went to see a lady who was selling some sulcata's and had to have her. She was just so active and friendly and was giving me a good look over I just had to take her home. Best decision ever, she's amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.