Hello from a newbe

Deirdra

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ
Hi everyone!

My name is Deirdra. I'm in Phoneix AZ. I am happily married to and have 3 amazing kids. My family and I are major animal lovers and somewhat do animal rescue of sorts. It's not official though and we've put the brakes on things for the moment. (Long story) But we have all kinds of critters. 2 dogs, 4 cats, 3 rabbits, down to 2 rats, 6 guinea pigs, 2 parrots, a bearded dragon, a ball python, some finches a 30 gallon fish tank and my precious tarantula who has just crossed the rainbow bridge. So as you can see, we have lots of critters and much knowledge of them. We make sure to do as much research on the critters as we can to ensure proper care. (I've also just started school to be a veterinary assistant and I work part time at a guinea pig rescue that also takes in small rodents and I am working on getting a wildlife rehabilitation licence as well.) The only critter that has never crossed our path is a tortoise. Well, that is, until recently. A good friend of mine found a Salcada (I hope I spelled that right) tortoise in his yard. He made every attempt to find her owners but to no avail. So he kept her. He named her.... Shelly.. yes, I know... that's like naming a black and white cat Oreo or a guinea pig Squeakers or a Parrot Polly. Well, said friend has fallen on difficult times so we now are "babysitting" this beautiful girl indefinitely and I have fallen head over heels in love!!! Here in our home we call her Morla (as in the giant tortoise from "The Never Ending Story". I'm sure that is just as bad, but it suits her and she actually answers to it!) The downside is... there is very little information about how to care for a tortoise online and all of the information I have found via online and library books is all contradictory. So I reached out to a friend of mine who has a lot of experience with tortoises and referred me here. She told me this is the best place to go for tortoise info. So that's my long winded story and here I am. I'm currently reading through all of the FAQ's and posts because I'm sure I'll find answers to all of my questions! Even though I know there is a chance that Morla's owner may come pick her up when things are better for him, I just want to be sure I'm caring for her properly. As well as prepare myself in the event he picks her up and I find myself at a tortoise rescue looking to bring someone home. Thanks for "listening"

Deirdra

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
is the your profile pic your tortoise? if it is them your tortoise is not a sulcata its a desert tortoise. so sad it was taken from the wild:( once they are taken from the wild it is illegal to release them, because it can spread diseases to the wild population.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Read all the top threads of the sulcata section . Welcome to TFO!

Deirdra

Phoenix AZ
This is Morla... I REALLY hope she's not a desert tortoise... I'd feel terrible that she was taken from the wild, but it would be a bit unusual for a wild tortoise to be in the area she was found, but nothing is impossible. She seems to love human interaction too, so I'm hoping that's a sign that she was someones pet prior... and she is totally facinated with my Maine Coon cat. She follows him everywhere.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
This is Morla... I REALLY hope she's not a desert tortoise... I'd feel terrible that she was taken from the wild, but it would be a bit unusual for a wild tortoise to be in the area she was found, but nothing is impossible. She seems to love human interaction too, so I'm hoping that's a sign that she was someones pet prior... and she is totally facinated with my Maine Coon cat. She follows him everywhere.
yea thats a desert tortoise. but it looks like she has some pyramiding so i think she has been is captivity.

Deirdra

Phoenix AZ
She's been kept inside since she was found. She was just found about 10 weeks ago and has been with me for 2 weeks. Now I feel terrible. I was sure from the info I had read that she was a Sulcata, but it's really hard to find good info. Thank you to those who have clarified. She is such a sweet girl and she really does seem to be super comfortable with human interaction. When I lay on the couch with her on my chest, she'll stick her head out and nudge my chin. She seems to like when I gently rub her head. Poor girl. I really hope she was a lost per and not truly wild. (again assuming female based on the little info I have found) Last thing I would even want is to take a wild animal from nature.. it was assumed by my friend based on where she was found that she was a dumped pet. I have zero experience and knowledge on tortoises and I admit that. Ask me about a rodent or a feline or canine and I can tell you a lot (I'm not an expert, but I have studied hard.) but seriously... there is SO little good information about tortoises!! Which is why I'm here. Any feedback is welcome! Even if it's negative... it'll will be considered a learning experience.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
she should not be kept inside. reasons:p: 1. she needs natural sunlight to absorb calcium, if she does not have natural sunlight she can get medabolic bone disease 2. proper heat, she needs a basking spot at 90+ tortoises can't digest food properly if the temps are not high enough. 3. she could eat dust bunnies, pieces of plastic and people food this can hurt her really bad. 4. injuries someone could step on her or a cat could bite her. large tortoises really need to be kept outside.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Somebody may be looking for their pet tortoise. You can put up fliers where near where she was found and check around at vet offices etc. But I would not post a picture of her, if a person wants to say it is there's make them show you a picture or describe her in great detail. I am not familiar with the laws but it sounds like you can get a permit and keep her. so check out the desert tortoise section here on the forum. welcome to the forum and good luck with your new little tortoise friend.

Deirdra

Phoenix AZ
Thank you all! I was worried about the licence thing so I went to the website that mentioned above. That licence info is for the State of CA. BUT, it lead me to the AZ fish & wildlife site.. She will need to be registered, but not licensed in AZ *phew*! I started stressing a bit! Getting her registered isn't hard to do either. I just want to make sure that if she does stay with us that we are doing everything right. And seriously... I'm open to ALL feedback!

Deirdra

Phoenix AZ
The diet thing is my biggest concern. I do make sure she has a bowl of water. THe first day she soaked her head in it. Scared the daylights out of me! The person we are "babysitting" her for gave us a bale of dried hay and said it was Bermuda grass. But that can't be the only thing she eats.. can it? I've let her nibble on some romaine lettuce and I have been in search of dandelion greens but have not had any success with that as of yet. Her "owner" was giving her all kinds of veggies and fruits but I just have this feeling it's not right. She is indoors with a nocturnal heat lamp and a UV lamp as well for the moment until we know 100% for sure if she is staying with us permanently. Which.. I kind of hope she does because A) I have fallen in love and B) we are in a position to do whatever it takes to make her a legit family member.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
i know little about desert tortoise diet, but fruit should be given rarely. grasses and hays should be the main part of his diet and he should be given nontoxic weeds like mallow and dandelions, with cactuses and succulents

Deirdra

Phoenix AZ
The dandelion greens and grasses are the only consistent things I have found as far as diet. Thank you for confirming! And you all have excellent eyes. I am comparing pics of AZ desert tortoises to Sulcatas and they are so similar! Sorry to sound so ignorant, but what are the differences to look for?? I was looking at the Sulcata section of the forum and that is what she looks like to me. But again, please understand, this is one type of critter that I have no experience with.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
The dandelion greens and grasses are the only consistent things I have found as far as diet. Thank you for confirming! And you all have excellent eyes. I am comparing pics of AZ desert tortoises to Sulcatas and they are so similar! Sorry to sound so ignorant, but what are the differences to look for?? I was looking at the Sulcata section of the forum and that is what she looks like to me. But again, please understand, this is one type of critter that I have no experience with.
if you look behind his head you will see a nuchal scute, desert tortoises have them but sulcatas don't. first pic is a desert tortoise second pic is a sulcata.

images-2.jpeg
sulcata-tortoise-3.jpg

Last edited:

Deirdra

Phoenix AZ
Wow! Such a subtle difference that I would have never noticed! Thank you! Seriously, thank you!! And thank you also for not pointing out my ignorance. *blush*. This is exactly the reason why I am here and you all are being super helpful! In some of the Sulcata pics I've been looking at, I also noticed some of them have more spikey scales on their legs as apposed to smooth. Just out of curiosity, why is that?