Hello all

Toddoise

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
IMG_6330.JPG I'm excited I found this forum as I have so many questions. My mother in law just got my wife and I into Tortoise's. My mother in law has had her tortoise, Chip for about 20 years now. We just adopted two tortoises and we're in love already. They're eating well and getting along well. My first real question is kind of embarrassing, I should know this already. But what kind of tortoise are they? I've attached a photo of one of them. I'm told he/she is 4 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Welcome, yeah this is a great place to learn a lot of stuff.

I can't help you with the species of your tort. But don't worry someone will give you the correct answer.

London my lovely Sulcata tortoise :0))

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hello and welcome. I'm not sure what kind of tort you have, but it's pretty. :)

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here.

Toddoise

Southern California
IMG_20140807_202618.jpg Thanks for the welcomes.
I found another picture of them when I brought them home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Todd, and welcome to the Forum!

The first picture shows a young desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii) in need of some help. His beak is starting to get overgrown on the sides and his carapace (top shell) shows signs of Metabolic Bone Disease (the downward slope over the hips).

I hope you are able to set these tortoises up in a safe and escape-proof outdoor pen. They need calcium-rich foods and sunshine. You can read the care sheets for sulcatas, as the desert tortoises require almost the same care. Here's a link to a good care sheet written by Don, a very experienced desert tortoise person in Bakersfield:

http://www.donsdeserttortoises.com/2.html

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
You sir have some desert torts. I had one as a kid and that is what set off my love for torts. Yours don't look so go though. They need a diet change so it's a good thing you found this place.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Hi Todd, and welcome to the Forum!

The first picture shows a young desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii) in need of some help. His beak is starting to get overgrown on the sides and his carapace (top shell) shows signs of Metabolic Bone Disease (the downward slope over the hips).

I hope you are able to set these tortoises up in a safe and escape-proof outdoor pen. They need calcium-rich foods and sunshine. You can read the care sheets for sulcatas, as the desert tortoises require almost the same care. Here's a link to a good care sheet written by Don, a very experienced desert tortoise person in Bakersfield:

http://www.donsdeserttortoises.com/2.html

You beat me to it!

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Toddoise

Southern California
I thought their beaks looked funny but I figured it was because they were so young. THANK YOU THANK YOU for saying something and sending me a link. We've only had them for a month now and they seem to be picky eaters. The local reptile pet store recommend feeding them "European tortoise juvenile soft pellets". Which they eat. I've also been giving them romain lettuce which they really like although I have read they don't have much nutritional value. I have no idea what the previous owners were feeding them. Thank you Yvonne for the link. I was happy to see mexican feather grass as part of their diet as we have lots of that planted in out yard. I've attached a picture of the enclosure I've constructed for them. They are outdoors for the day and I bring them in at night. Thank again for the help. I really want these guys to thrive so I appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20140809_141929.jpg
    IMG_20140809_141929.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 22

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Todd welcome to the TFO from AZ . Desert torts are about the best pets aren't they . Have a great day ! You may want to think about a bigger enclosure .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Alaskamike

South Florida
It might help if you got a couple cuttle bones (they sell them for birds in pet stores ) and scrape off the glue on the backs, then just put them in the enclosure. the torts will knaw on them when they feel the need for calcium. My Leopard torts like them. Can help with calcium needs.

Toddoise

Southern California
Thanks Mike. I'll definatly try that. I'm a bit confused on kale for tortoises. I've ready it's not the best for them but I've heard of so many people who feeds kale. I'm feeding romain now should I stop that and feed kale?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.
Your outdoor enclosure looks nice, but monitor the temperature in there closely. That covered portion can quickly turn into an oven. I'd run a remote temperature probe in there and keep an eye on the base unit.

Grocery store foods, including kale, are not the best diet for tortoises. Its okay to use some of that stuff some of the time, but whenever possible and practical other things should be sought out. Here is a thread I typed up for sulcatas. I feed DTs the same, just with less emphasis on grass.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Here is a care sheet I typed up for Russian tortoise, but I house DTs identically:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Given the apparent lack of care these guys have received prior to finding their way to you, I would soak them every day for at least a month or two. This will ensure good hydration and help to flush out any lingering problems from their previous care.

Here is another thread that should help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

And finally, I hope you will consider housing them separately. Tortoises do not want, like or need companions, and DTS are one of the most territorial species there is. They would much prefer to be alone and be the sole king of their own kingdom.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

Toddoise

Southern California
Thank you Tom and everybody for your advice. Apparently the previous owners fell short on the first few years of raising these guys. I hope I can turn that around. I'm very happy to have found this forum and I plan on following it often. Thank you again.

Toddoise

Southern California
Looks like the cuddle bone was a hit. Both my guys gnawed on it. I also cut some small pieces of mexican feather grass and sprinkled it one their food. Hope I'm going in the right direction. Thanks again everybody.

Attachments

• IMG_20140830_104453.jpg
    IMG_20140830_104453.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11

Keith D.

Arizona
It might help if you got a couple cuttle bones (they sell them for birds in pet stores ) and scrape off the glue on the backs, then just put them in the enclosure. the torts will knaw on them when they feel the need for calcium. My Leopard torts like them. Can help with calcium needs.
You can purchase really nice large cuttle bone at feed stores in bulk, usually they will have a bin or box you can search through and pick the ones you want. Never have come across any with glue on them though.