Heating for box turtles

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
At this point my box turtles are in an indoor enclosure. My house is at 60 degrees. I have ordered a ceramic heat emitter for their enclosure. Will this also give them the uv light they need? It is a 150 watt bulb, which will arrive in about three days. Currently I am using a heat lamp but not sure it is doing the job. Thanks

yillt

I know next to nothing about box turtles but a lot more about tortoises so I'll share my knowledge with you. You will need a uvb because as far as I know CHE don't emitt uvb. You said that you're not sure your heat lamp is doing the job, is there something wrong with your box turtles? There are many threads about Ceramic heat emitters so until someone else comes along maybe you can read them. Good luck :D also I'm thinking of getting a ceramic heat emitter as they're pretty popular.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
No, nothing wrong with them. I just want to do them right. My house is cool in the winter as I am heating with oil heaters. They have dug into the substrate but I need to put more in there for them. The tops of their shells are not covered. Just trying to improve the enclosure as I can

M

Maggie Cummings

I have a tort table with a lid, for a few box turtles. I use a 60 watt black light bulb for heat for all my box turtles, my house is about 70 degrees at night. Lengthen the time of their light to 12 or 13 hours, maybe they are trying to hibernate. More heat is necessary and so is the length of the light.....if there's no top on my habitat I use aluminum foil to keep in the heat...they should have a UVB light or fed a terrific diet. They CAN get the right stuff from their food, and won't need UVB. But that's only box turtles and that's only with supplements and a great diet....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
ceramic heat emitters do not emit UVB