Heat

CaseyTurner1

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Hi all quick question! of a night I usually switch off my heat bulb and put on my heat mat but my tortoise sleeps in different spots all the time so sometimes he isn’t near the mat and I’m worried that the mat isn’t giving enough heat through the whole viv at night? Can someone tell me what the night time temp in my vivarium should roughly be? Thank you in advance

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Can you please include photos of your setup and what kind of Tort do you have?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Firstly, The fake grass has to go along with the wood chips. Both are a danger to be eaten and both will upset the torts system. Substrate- Best is fine fir bark also known as Orchid Bark and Reptibark. Why- it holds moisture but doesn't mildew and can be easily digested if eaten. I see the food bowl and what looks to be fruits which is no good. Sulcatas are grazers and the sugars in the fruits upset their system. Grasses and weeds work best. Also do you have a water dish? A terra cotta saucer or pot base works best. I attached the most update guide on the care of a Sulcata to help you!

CaseyTurner1

Essex
Firstly, The fake grass has to go along with the wood chips. Both are a danger to be eaten and both will upset the torts system. Substrate- Best is fine fir bark also known as Orchid Bark and Reptibark. Why- it holds moisture but doesn't mildew and can be easily digested if eaten. I see the food bowl and what looks to be fruits which is no good. Sulcatas are grazers and the sugars in the fruits upset their system. Grasses and weeds work best. Also do you have a water dish? A terra cotta saucer or pot base works best. I attached the most update guide on the care of a Sulcata to help you!
Thank you for the advice can you answer my question about the night temperature?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Heat mats should not be used under small tortoises indoors.

The CHE in your pic should be set on a thermostat to 80 degrees and left on all the time. Night temperature should never drop below 80 anywhere in the enclosure. It should climb to 90-ish during the day, in addition to having a basking area of 95-100 degrees.

Your baby needs the correct substrate and the humidity that comes with it.

Please give this a read. As you read it, realize that most of the care info you find is old, out-dated, and wrong. This is the right info:

CaseyTurner1

Essex
Heat mats should not be used under small tortoises indoors.

The CHE in your pic should be set on a thermostat to 80 degrees and left on all the time. Night temperature should never drop below 80 anywhere in the enclosure. It should climb to 90-ish during the day, in addition to having a basking area of 95-100 degrees.

Your baby needs the correct substrate and the humidity that comes with it.

Please give this a read. As you read it, realize that most of the care info you find is old, out-dated, and wrong. This is the right info:
Perfect thank you for your advice ?