Hearing?

ladyvalkyrie

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Sill, Oklahoma
I read on one of y'all recommended sites that Redfoots really can't hear.

Do y'all think this is true?

My bigger one responds to music or singing. His favorite so far seems to be "Proud Mary"- he'll waddle right over. He also basks, which apparently is also uncommon for them?

What is y'all's opinion/experiences with this?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Not really sure on the hearing part. It always seemed like they *could* hear me but then again they might be responding because I'm visually there. They never really get startled or respond to loud noises (like fireworks or hammering) so I really have no idea.

Basking, however, is something I do know about. All four of mine love basking. I had to add another basking spot next to my original one and put another basking spot somewhere else just because they all dog piled in one spot. It's not because they were freezing cold because the whole room was registering 88F, and the ground level of the enclosure ranged from 80-86F on one of the days they were basking. Their shell temps were around 92-94F at the time.

Every tortoise is different, but all of mine love basking.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have read they don't really hear as much as they feel the vibrations.
As for basking, I don't own a RF for I have read where many members RF don't really bask. I guess there are those that do and those that don't so much.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I often wonder of they hear certain tones better than others. Because they seem to respond to my higher pitched female voice. I l baby talk them like a total fool! lol. :D

I definitely don't think they hear well in general. But they respond to our faces and sense vibrations.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Everyday I give my reds several opportunities for sunlight. And sometimes they'll be in their hide, and I roll the enclosure over into the sun, and they come out and sit still. So yes, mine do bask. They could care less about the heat bulb. They like the SUN. :)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I have read they don't really hear as much as they feel the vibrations.
As for basking, I don't own a RF for I have read where many members RF don't really bask. I guess there are those that do and those that don't so much.

You know, Barb.. mine didn't bask in the beginning (when they were still babies). I'm guessing that mine bask because they're older, bolder and more comfortable in their surroundings to be out in the open. I wonder if those that said their reds didn't bask because they were younger or new?

ladyvalkyrie

Fort Sill, Oklahoma
I moved them into their outdoor enclosure during the day time and they both seemed happier. I even think they were a little upset that I took them back inside, but they're both currently knocked out so I guess they got over it. As for the music... I put my iPad on an oldies station and left it with them while I picked up the materials and built they're outdoor pen. When I checked on them they were contently sitting by where my iPad was.

ladyvalkyrie

Fort Sill, Oklahoma
You know, Barb.. mine didn't bask in the beginning (when they were still babies). I'm guessing that mine bask because they're older, bolder and more comfortable in their surroundings to be out in the open. I wonder if those that said their reds didn't bask because they were younger or new?

That makes sense. My smaller one doesn't bask but the bigger one is the one who loves it