Healthy boy?

Squirteal

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello :) just wanna say thank you to those who suggested getting Squirtle a spider plant! I think it is his new favourite thing!

My next question is, do you think he looks healthy? I am very paranoid about pyramiding and I think I’m doing everything I can to prevent it but I still have that worry as does everyone I guess haha

Also do you think his nails and beak are the right length? Or could they do with trimming? What can I put in his home so he can trim them?

IMG_0236.jpg
IMG_0231.jpgIMG_0218.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pyramiding in tortoise is caused by raising a baby tortoise in a dry enclosure under a hot, desiccating light. If you correct those conditions you no longer have to worry about it. A moist substrate and a tube type fluorescent UVB bulb - that's how I now raise my babies.

Squirteal

UK
Pyramiding in tortoise is caused by raising a baby tortoise in a dry enclosure under a hot, desiccating light. If you correct those conditions you no longer have to worry about it. A moist substrate and a tube type fluorescent UVB bulb - that's how I now raise my babies.
I use a UVB bulb and moist substrate yet the substrate does dry out within about a day.... what would you suggest I do?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I use a UVB bulb and moist substrate yet the substrate does dry out within about a day.... what would you suggest I do?

You need a closed chamber enclosure, or an enclosure with very little ventilation. My internet isn’t great so I can’t see your pictures, but try covering the top of the enclosure with foil or a shower curtain. You want very little ventilation.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Alright, the pictures loaded. Your problem is likely that you’re using an improper substrate. You don’t want anything sandy or with limestone bits in it, but instead something damp like coco coir, fine grade orchid bark, or cypress mulch.

Squirteal

UK
Alright, the pictures loaded. Your problem is likely that you’re using an improper substrate. You don’t want anything sandy or with limestone bits in it, but instead something damp like coco coir, fine grade orchid bark, or cypress mulch.

IMG_0237.jpg
This is what I use

Squirteal

UK
Yep, definitely not a great substrate. Not sure why people put sand in substrate, which is a huge impaction risk when eaten, and then put in limestone bits so that they try to eat it.
Thats really annoying because it's sold by an actual pet shop :(( so what would you say is best for a 1 year old Horsefield Tortoise?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thats really annoying because it's sold by an actual pet shop :(( so what would you say is best for a 1 year old Horsefield Tortoise?

I would keep him on coconut coir (eco earth at pet stores) so that he can burrow. Once he’s bigger, you can switch to fine grade orchid bark if you want.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA

Squirteal

UK
yep. Just put it in a 5 gallon bucket or I like a 20 gallon rubbermaid container. Gotta Soak first follow the directions. Will expand greatly and allow you to have leftover substrate after you change out for adding later.
Okay great thank you! I will get some ordered right away! Is there anything else you would suggest I do to help my little guy out?