He is here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scooter

My new male Home's hingeback just arrived! He is soaking now and I will have pics up soon. I was upset at how he was package but he is here and safe now!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Well, cool! Be sure and stick a camera in his face as soon as he's settled in. :D

S

Scooter

Ok here are some pics of him. He does not have a name yet. He is very active trying his hardest to get out of the bucket he is in soaking. He is 14.56 cm and 513 grams.

IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

I was slightly worried he would not be a male but he looks all male to me :)
IMG_2462.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looking good so far. The big test will be if he eats. Have you tried him yet? What are you planning for his first meal?

What was wrong with how he was packaged?

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Looks good! I bet you are so excited. How was he packaged?

S

Scooter

I put down some spring mix but he walked right over it so I might try a small piece of fruit. Though its hard I am trying to leave him alone for a little while right now. I am amazed at how out going he is already. I have told he was eating greens and fruit and has been treated for parasites.

All the torts I have seen shipped where in a Styrofoam box within the cardboard box (some in bags some not depending on size) with air holes in the box and the box labeled live animal or live tortoise. He was in a bag and just had newspaper stuffed in all around him with in the box. The box had no air holes and all is said was perishable and had a couple arrows pointing up. I have only seen torts packaged for shipping one other time so maybe I am wrong.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
well technically he is perishable, but nice looking tort none the less.

S

Scooter

Thanks everyone, I have fallen in love with him already. He has been cruising around and climbing on things this whole time and has finally stopped for a nap lol.

Now the big question. Jacqui, Kyryah and Chairman, since he is just over 14 cm how long do you think it will be before he is old/big enough to mate? (Don't worry I am going to give him time to get acclimated before I start introducing him to Scoot) :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
He's large enough now to mate successfully. :)

No that's not the way to ship a tortoise. You really do need air holes in a shipping box. Did you get him from Amazon Reptile Center?

Danny

S

Scooter

No I got him from a guy in South Florida. I found out from Kyryah after I ordered him that this guy is not the best guy to work with, so it kind of didn't surprise me but still upset me but he seems to be doing fine and that is what matters.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am glad he arrived okay!!!

The torts that I got from the same seller were not well packaged either. He had stuffed four Russians in the same bag, and one was sick. The bag was full of foul smelling feces. The Homes I got from him was shoved in a deli cup. No Styro, and mine were sent to Michigan in March.....

He certainly looks old enough to be interested in Scoot now :) Both being wild caught though, I would not put him in with her for quite some time, and definitely get him treated and tested for parasites.

S

Scooter

Yeah I sectioned off her enclosure so he has one side and she has the other. They will not meet for a while. The seller said he has been treated for parasites but I don't want to take a chance. I haven't gotten him to eat yet but I kind of expected that. He seems to be settling pretty nicely though. :D

He now has a name! RAY

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
My baby came from the same guy.... She likes any red colored greens, mushrooms, butternut squash, and fish. It took 3-4 days before she ate, but she has been a chow hound ever since.

S

Scooter

I tried mushrooms yesterday but it was a no go. I will keep trying them and I have red colored greens and squash I will try thanks. As long as he is not addicted to bananas like Scoot was when I got her :D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Pretty, pretty...

I like his "skirted-tank" shell, and those deep large eyes are so...immersing. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.