Have I got it wrong on my table

Philip Tyrrell

Location (City and/or State)
Dublin, Ireland
I am trying to work out if I have got anything wrong with the table I have built for my 4 year old Hermanns. This is her second table which is about 1 1/2 time the size of her last one. It is 1.1m long and 0.6m wide. She is only still small. As you can see I've given her a few different surfaces and a high area to climb to. The substrate is over 2" deep and in her shelter there is coconut husk bedding.

However she still constantly is trying to climb out of the table. In one of the pictures you can see she has got herself on top of the shelter. I've seen her attempt this a few times now and it amazes me as it is higher than she is long. She has to slowly work her way up the side wall and literally do chin-ups to do it. In another photo you can see her in the process. She is completely off the ground in that photo. (I'll modify the area to make it to tall for her)
Why would she climb up to a location that there is no way down for her?

She ends up on her back a few times a day but seems very competent at righting herself although it only takes for it to happen once under her light or in her water for her to be in danger.

So any advice on modifications or anything else?

Attachments

• Climbing.JPG
    Climbing.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Climber.JPG
    Climber.JPG
    897.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Tort-Table.JPG
    Tort-Table.JPG
    880.9 KB · Views: 38

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I would immediately put a lip all around the edge of the shelf. If he can get up there he can climb higher up and go over the edge and hit floor. Try making areas warmer. He may be trying to find somewhere warm...or he's hungry and looking for food.

Philip Tyrrell

Dublin, Ireland
I would immediately put a lip all around the edge of the shelf. If he can get up there he can climb higher up and go over the edge and hit floor. Try making areas warmer. He may be trying to find somewhere warm...or he's hungry and looking for food.
Thanks,
Putting an edge on the shelf this evening all right.
Food wise she gets a good hand full in the morning and that is taken out in the evening and a fresh bit put in. (at this time of year it's mainly a mix of dandelion leaf, baby gem lettuce and, if I can get it, some Kale)(Once a week we might give her a split grape, a small piece of apple or some cucumber [she nearly takes my finger off when she smells the fruit but I know not to give it often.])
For heat she has a combined heat UV lamp (she's under it on the full photo but it had just turned off when taking the photo) ad that give here an area around 34degC for 12 hours and then she has the hide (or sometimes she just digs in, in the open). The temp never goes below 18degC in that room even in the winter (22 at this time of year.)

I'd love to let her live outside but in Ireland you just can't predict the weather at any time of year. (we had 18degC and sunny yesterday and it's only 14 today and was raining all night.)