Can I improve my setup?

Zoeee2426

Location (City and/or State)
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Hi there! I have had my 10 month old greek spur thigh (Testudo graeca) for a little over a month now and I am completely new to all this. I was wandering if you guys think her living standards are ok?

In the photograph it is very bright under her lamp, don’t worry as it is nothing like that in real life and has the same amount of light all across the enclosure.

I have had some people commenting on the substrate used in previous posts, saying that it is too dry, but I have done lots of research and the breeder I got her from says it is fine. I am misting it every day and bathing her every day to make sure she doesn’t get dehydrated.

I have also noticed she loves to climb on everything and I was wandering if by adding more things to climb on, would there be enough space? I really want to get this part right because in the last few days, I have noticed her attempting to climb the walls and then falling onto her back. Is there a way I can make this better for her?

I do also let her outside in her outdoor pen for the day when it is warm :)

Hope I can get some good advice!

Attachments

• 3B46EE08-BDDA-4420-8701-B52643568C2B.jpeg
    3B46EE08-BDDA-4420-8701-B52643568C2B.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24

Billna the 2

Smoaks sc
It seems you do not have another fixture with a UVB light,
UVB is very very very very important look up MD tortoise online to see what will happen if they don’t have UVB,

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
-the substrate looks to be one that’s too dry and unsuitable for tortoises. You want to be using coconut coir, cypress mulch, or fine grade orchid bark.

-the water bowl needs to be switched out for a terra cotta saucer. These are much easier to use, and are shallow on all sides to allow for easy access.

-be careful with the mercury vapor bulb. These are very desiccating on shells, and can lead to pyramiding (especially with the dry substrate). It’s generally better to use tube fluorescents and a flood bulb for heating, but since you already have it, be even more sure that you’re soaking daily and you might even consider rubbing coconut oil on her shell. You don’t actually need UVB if you’re letting her outside for a few hours a week.

be sure to give these a read. Care for Russians is pretty much the same for Greeks-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Zoeee2426

Cornwall, United Kingdom
-the substrate looks to be one that’s too dry and unsuitable for tortoises. You want to be using coconut coir, cypress mulch, or fine grade orchid bark.

-the water bowl needs to be switched out for a terra cotta saucer. These are much easier to use, and are shallow on all sides to allow for easy access.

-be careful with the mercury vapor bulb. These are very desiccating on shells, and can lead to pyramiding (especially with the dry substrate). It’s generally better to use tube fluorescents and a flood bulb for heating, but since you already have it, be even more sure that you’re soaking daily and you might even consider rubbing coconut oil on her shell. You don’t actually need UVB if you’re letting her outside for a few hours a week.

be sure to give these a read. Care for Russians is pretty much the same for Greeks-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Ok thank you... will definitely look into the substrates that you mentioned (probably will trial a few to see what works best for her) and as for the bowl, she has had no trouble at all getting in and out but as she grows I think your suggestion will be more suitable so thanks for the tip :). Will also do some more research about the UVB bulb, she does get d3 supplements on the days that she is in as I am aware that these bulbs don’t aways provide that. Not to mention she is getting calcium powder on her food daily. Thank you so much for all the advice... i am always learning as like i said, very new to this :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ok thank you... will definitely look into the substrates that you mentioned (probably will trial a few to see what works best for her) and as for the bowl, she has had no trouble at all getting in and out but as she grows I think your suggestion will be more suitable so thanks for the tip :). Will also do some more research about the UVB bulb, she does get d3 supplements on the days that she is in as I am aware that these bulbs don’t aways provide that. Not to mention she is getting calcium powder on her food daily. Thank you so much for all the advice... i am always learning as like i said, very new to this :)
I would be careful with the D3, your tortoise is definitely getting enough of it from outside and indoors and overdoing it can be just as bad as under doing it. A tiny pinch of calcium twice a week is more than enough