have been a dog trainer for 30 years plus, feel free to pick my brain

Lisa Gove71

There are a handful of members here that love to harrass simply to make it appear as they know something..lol..there is this fabulous feature on the forum where you can set up any member under ignore..

Thank you!!! For the tip.. I had wished i found it ealier.

Lisa Gove71

He went to obedience classes and knows how to sit,lie,stand,jump,give paw and wait.he is a very picky eater and a lot of treats upset his stomach so I can't give him many. He refuses to eat dog food so ever since we got him after he had a bad stomach the vet said just feed him plain chicken (cooked) for now until he jets better. He won't go back to dog food so we are cooking his chicken as we speak. He has it with biscuits. Oh and he only likes chicken when it's cooked on the bone and taken off for him, he won't eat breast lol
Silly guy. Curious if you have tried mini marshmellows? I know those are used for those dogs that have issues.. And exsperiment with things.. Even kitty treats.. The small ones.. I dont know what you have in the UK .. Your brands might be different then ours. Try a ball, for a treat.. Use your obed. Training out in public on a 6 ft lead.. Let him go to the end and call him back, do tricks and anything you can do in public.. They are smart little guys and can train humans very easily!! Trust me i know.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just an FYI for you. There are many dog trainers, breeders and dog show members on this forum. As you should know, being in the dog show world, we are protective of what we know and do or have done and worked with. Some have had really good or great success with what ever breed(s) worked with. A newbie, won't be listened to right away, we have no clue who you really are and if you are who you say you are or if you have done what you say. Be patient and once we get to know you, your help will be more accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Just an FYI for you. There are many dog trainers, breeders and dog show members on this forum. As you should know, being in the dog show world, we are protective of what we know and do or have done and worked with. Some have had really good or great success with what ever breed(s) worked with. A newbie, won't be listened to right away, we have no clue who you really are and if you are who you say you are or if you have done what you say. Be patient and once we get to know you, your help will be more accepted.

That is crazy..I will always share what I know..I have shown dogs in conformation as well as obedience..I find it horrible that someone would hold out and do not include everyone in that thinking as you have here..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is crazy..I will always share what I know..I have shown dogs in conformation as well as obedience..I find it horrible that someone would hold out and do not include everyone in that thinking as you have here..

Never said they wouldn't share what they know. They will be the same as this person. Don't want to be told differently then what they already know. Don't want to be treated as if they don't know. Same as a lot of newbie members that have problems realizing there are new or better ways of doing things with tortoises. If you have ever been in the dog world, then you understand what I am saying. Trainers, breeders, etc, likes to think their way is the only way.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Never said they wouldn't share what they know. They will be the same as this person. Don't want to be told differently then what they already know. Don't want to be treated as if they don't know. Same as a lot of newbie members that have problems realizing there are new or better ways of doing things with tortoises. If you have ever been in the dog world, then you understand what I am saying. Trainers, breeders, etc, likes to think their way is the only way.

Oh but I do understand what you are saying, completely. I just do not agree.

Elnewman622

OH, Usa
When ever my Bishon comes in from being outside my Jack Russell wants to play with him but the Bishon is almost 13 and doesn't want to play so he starts to do this screaming thing and it gets my jack all wilded up and starts to attack him. is there anything i should be doing ?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
When ever my Bishon comes in from being outside my Jack Russell wants to play with him but the Bishon is almost 13 and doesn't want to play so he starts to do this screaming thing and it gets my jack all wilded up and starts to attack him. is there anything i should be doing ?

Change up the entry of the old timer into the house...also, there is no reason that the old timer should be subjected to the crappy behavior of the young buck...regardless to what society will try to make some believe...everything in life does not need to be "the same" or "fair" at all times...the old guy has earned some peace an quiet....and it is up to you, the human in charge to not allow the young one to be aggressive at the old one....

Elnewman622

OH, Usa
Change up the entry of the old timer into the house...also, there is no reason that the old timer should be subjected to the crappy behavior of the young buck...regardless to what society will try to make some believe...everything in life does not need to be "the same" or "fair" at all times...the old guy has earned some peace an quiet....and it is up to you, the human in charge to not allow the young one to be aggressive at the old one....
We try to stop her that's what we always do.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Are you kidding?

You said:

13 and doesn't want to play so he starts to do this screaming thing and it gets my jack all wilded up and starts to attack him. is there anything i should be doing ?

So yes, you need to change the entire dynamic of the entry into the house...this is a time that is important in order to change the behavior of the dogs..currently you describe chaos at the expense of the old dog..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

There is no "try". You either stop the behavior, or you allow the behavior. Sounds like right now you are allowing it. I hope that soon you will not allow it. Put the dog on a leash and make it behave. Dogs will do what you allow them to do.

Elnewman622

OH, Usa
There is no "try". You either stop the behavior, or you allow the behavior. Sounds like right now you are allowing it. I hope that soon you will not allow it. Put the dog on a leash and make it behave. Dogs will do what you allow them to do.
I came here for help not judgement. So yes my dog is imperfect not everything is. I chase her away or lock her up and she gets in trouble. I don't need you to judge how I do things. When I said attack I over exaggerated it she try's to play with him but he doesn't want that so he screams an she get hyper.

Elnewman622

OH, Usa
Are you kidding?

You said:

So yes, you need to change the entire dynamic of the entry into the house...this is a time that is important in order to change the behavior of the dogs..currently you describe chaos at the expense of the old dog..
Nothing bad has happen. He never gets cut its just her trying to play but he doesn't want it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Everyone please calm down. El: We only know what you wrote. It's very hard to get the big picture when reading words on a page...especially when you don't explain yourself well. It did sound as if you were being attacked, and I apologize for that. But here on the Forum we have the animals' best interest at heart first and foremost, and the feelings of the poster second.

So, pick up the smaller dog and don't allow the other dog to 'try to play' with it. Maybe put the older dog into the bedroom with the door closed and THEN let in the younger dog. There's a lot you can do that you don't seem to be doing.

Elnewman622

OH, Usa
Everyone please calm down. El: We only know what you wrote. It's very hard to get the big picture when reading words on a page...especially when you don't explain yourself well. It did sound as if you were being attacked, and I apologize for that. But here on the Forum we have the animals' best interest at heart first and foremost, and the feelings of the poster second.

So, pick up the smaller dog and don't allow the other dog to 'try to play' with it. Maybe put the older dog into the bedroom with the door closed and THEN let in the younger dog. There's a lot you can do that you don't seem to be doing.
I do a lot of things I just didn't mention I just wanted to see if there was a reason to it. I wanted to know if theres something else going on but I Iock her up or corner the younger dog. And some times the older one does want to play it just depends on the day. She's not a bad dog. She's just hyper and that comes with the breed . I've had dogs my whole life but I'm not perfect so I ask the trainer who's been a trainer for 30 years. I take good care of my dogs. Their happy and healthy but their not perfect. No ones perfect and I don't feel like I should be attacked about asking a question and not wording it right. I love my animals and I would never do anything to have them be hurt.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I came here for help not judgement. So yes my dog is imperfect not everything is. I chase her away or lock her up and she gets in trouble. I don't need you to judge how I do things. When I said attack I over exaggerated it she try's to play with him but he doesn't want that so he screams an she get hyper.

My mistake. I though you were looking for free advice from a professional dog trainer. I'll mind my own business.

Elnewman622

OH, Usa
My mistake. I though you were looking for free advice from a professional dog trainer. I'll mind my own business.
I was looking for advice but not advice that made it seem like I'm the worst dog owner in the world

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was looking for advice but not advice that made it seem like I'm the worst dog owner in the world

I just wrote a plain 5 sentence statement that was intended to help you and impart wisdom from typical problems that I see with people every day. I can't help what emotion you incorrectly attached to my statements. There was no attack or insult intended.

Frequently clients will ask me for help, I will tell them what's going on and what to do, and they make all sorts of excuses for their dog's behavior or their lack of action. I then tell them exactly what I told you, and frequently follow it with the question: "Do you think your dog would still do that if I were holding the leash?". After some thought, the answer is usually a: "No."

I'm quite sure it sounds better in person with the correct syllables accented and proper emphasis and enthusiasm, but my intent is to get the person to take appropriate action and not make excuses. I want you to take appropriate action to stop the bad behavior.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Nothing bad has happen. He never gets cut its just her trying to play but he doesn't want it

Okay dear....so, do you let the two dogs outside together and then let them enter the house together--kinda like that its a wild and fun train rushing into the station? That is a common way things are done....let us break this down bit by bit...okay :D