Hatchling's new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seejai

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Dakota
Hey everyone,

I posted a thread asking about food and it was suggested I get a bigger home for Koopa (her(?) new name). I've had her for ten days now. Someone here estimated she was about a month at that time. I just tried to weigh her but she didn't register on my scale... She's been getting more food variety though, I got some collard greens, bok choy, pumpkin, carrot tops, kale, and I mix those things with hay and bluestem. I've been placing her in the sun for about an hour a day and soaking her almost every day.

I just made that humid hide although I haven't gotten it wet yet and when I was at the store I forgot to get a thermometer that measures humidity (mine only does temp).
She seems perfectly healthy. When she's not basking on that rock (which is closest to the light) she likes to burrow under it.
Any more suggestions for her home?

Attachments

• New digs.jpg
    New digs.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 76

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The thing with the blue lid. I would take that out. The flat rock, either get another one to feed on or use the one that is in there. Maybe also get a plant to add for some security and she can nibble on it and also will help with humidity, when you get that going.

Seejai

5 Year Member
North Dakota
That's the humid hide, it's in a tupperware. A plant would be cool, I have a couple that might work. I mostly feed on the white, calcium bone thing, but I have another smaller rock that I meant to use as well. Thanks!

jessrich87

5 Year Member
Looks good, and alot like mine! I have a flat rock and a wicker tunnel and a plant on the warm side and a Tupperware humid hide and water bowl on the cool side. Good luck with your new baby.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Seejai said:
That's the humid hide, it's in a tupperware. A plant would be cool, I have a couple that might work. I mostly feed on the white, calcium bone thing, but I have another smaller rock that I meant to use as well. Thanks!
[/]

Do you also have the whole enclosure humid? or are you just doing a humid hide? I ask, because if the whole enclosure is kept humid, you can remove the humid hide and have more walking space or put a plant there for him to hide under. If you are doing just a humid hide, he has to sleep in it for it to work. You mentioned he like to hide under the rock to sleep. If he doesn't use the humid hide, either remove it and make the whole enclosure humid, which personally I think works better, or you might have to remove the rock and maybe he will use the humid hide. Or make where ever he likes to sleep, the humid spot. You do no, like most animals, they really own us, but make us have to guess what they want :D

Status
Not open for further replies.