Hatchling Outside???

Hgarrity

5 Year Member
Do you think it would be OK to leave my hatchling outside overnight? His outdoor enclosure is so much bigger and nicer than his indoor one. His outdoor enclosure has a top that latches, so it is safe. It's between 68-73 degrees here every night this week. I would of course bring him in if it was cooler than it is, or if there was bad weather. Plus he already went in his little house and snuggled up to sleep! I hate to wake him up! HaHa! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If he's safe from nocturnal predators then I would think it is ok. Here the nights are in the 60'sF and I leave my babies outside 24/7.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Hgarrity

5 Year Member
Ok. Thanks! I might miss him out there, but I think he likes it better!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds okay, but where are you? I usually prefer to have babies come inside to sleep, but with your temps and a proper set up, it sounds like it might be okay.

Hgarrity

5 Year Member
Tom, I am in South Carolina. It's pretty warm here at night. The enclosure has a top. We even have a lock on it. Our yard is also fenced, so I don't think much besides bad/cold weather could hurt him. ( I say "him", I'm pretending he/she is a boy for the next year or two until we can tell! Haha!). My plan is really to bring him in at night. Tonight, I just got outside to get him a little later than usual, and he had already tucked himself in for the night. Haha! I just hate to disturb him. I have never had a tortoise before. I'm trying my best to do everything right. Glad I found all of y'all to help me out!

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I myself am a baby and take crazy care of my rescue hatchlings. They go outside at 9-10 am and stay out until 9-10 pm. Weather permitting that is. The cage they stay in inside is 2' x 4' and they do nothing but sleep in it. I bring them up at night and turn the CHE on and they go straight to the hide.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I like bringing hatchlings in at night, mice or rats can squeeze through pretty small holes

Hgarrity

5 Year Member
The cage they stay in inside is 2' x 4' and they do nothing but sleep in it.

That is one thing I was wondering about. My indoor enclosure is about the same size. I want him to have all the room he needs, but he is only in it at night when he is asleep.

Hgarrity

5 Year Member
I like bringing hatchlings in at night, mice or rats can squeeze through pretty small holes

I did not think about rats and mice!!! The top holes are pretty small ,but still!!! Mice are crazy, they can squeeze through anywhere. Well it's morning now, and he is ok, but I probably won't leave him outside again any time soon. I didn't sleep too well for worrying about him! Haha!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Personally I'd wait until he/she is a little older to stay outside overnight long-term, but I'm sure the occasional night is just fine!