Hatchling is not burrowing

Patty P

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rockland County, NY
Is it normal if a hatchling Hermann's Tortoise does not burrow at night? Tucker has stopped burrowing about two weeks ago and sleeps on the substrate or his slate. New York is very cold right now so I have his night time room temps at about 73 -75 F. His overnight humidity level is around 70% and he is in a closed chamber only overnight. He has 4 inches of substrate which is mostly organic topsoil and some cypress mulch mixed in. Do hatchlings have to burrow?

Tucker.jpg Tucker2.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't keep Hermanni, so I don't know if that's a burrowing species or not. I would just put him away inside the hiding place each night.

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Ok, thanks Yvonne. I will place him in the humid hide box tonight before I go burrowing under my own bedcovers! :)

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I have a marginated tortoise who was burrowing for months. Recently she stopped burrowing where she was and started going into her little hut and digging down a little in in. She's had the hut the whole time and until a few weeks ago has never used it.

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Some do and some don't in my experience. I would not worry about it.
That's what I figured! Hey Tom, I may be joining you in Southern CA in a few years when I retire. The winters in NY are getting too harsh for me!

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
I have a marginated tortoise who was burrowing for months. Recently she stopped burrowing where she was and started going into her little hut and digging down a little in in. She's had the hut the whole time and until a few weeks ago has never used it.
Ok thanks. I was thinking since the ambient air is quite warm, Tucker has no need to burrow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's what I figured! Hey Tom, I may be joining you in Southern CA in a few years when I retire. The winters in NY are getting too harsh for me!

You are welcome here. The politics are no better than NY, but the weather sure is nice! :)

surfergirl

My torts, hermann, russians and margie usually burrow more when the humidity is lower. I keep the substrate damp so if the humidity on top if the substrate is around 50% they burrow more but when humidity goes up 60-70% they burrow less it seems.

They love to burrow under thin flat slate or sandstone rocks that are close to the basking site. I think the heat stays in the rock even after the lights go out and with the damp susbstrate it makes for a perfect humid burrow overnight.