Handling/docile

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Napa, Ca
Hey, I was wondering if you all had any pointers to making your leopards more docile and willing to be handled (not tucking/being skittish). Mo tucks in a lot, we can't even touch a leg or his head. How often should we handle him without causing too much stress? And how often should we handle him so that he stresses less at the presence of people? (He's still just a little tiny guy, 112g). I'm hoping to get him acclimated to us early on so that as he gets older he isn't afraid of us/avoids us, and maybe actually seeks us out (probably for food).

Thanks for any input.
Kev

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
All you can do is establish a routine so your tortoise learns what to expect and when.

Tour tort will come to associate you with yummy food and should become less shy, but some never do. Tortoises can be very slow on the uptake, so you have to be patient. It may take months - possibly years.

They always prefer having 4 feet on the ground. Your soaking routine should help your tort to get used to being lifted with the expectation of nothing awful happening.

We've had our tortoise for over 46 years and he still pulls his head in sharpish if a shadow passes over him. It's a survival instinct.

They aren't cuddly animals, so the best way to help them develop trust is to leave them on the floor in their enclosure and avoid surprises.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Slowly, my Tidgy ( a Greek tort) has come to enjoy having her head and shell rubbed, but it took about 2 years for her to like head rubs and 3 for shell rubs. She still hates her legs being touched, maye she always will.
As your tortoise gets used to you, he will get accustomed to being handled and may even come to enjoy a bit of gentle stroking. But it takes time to gain their trust.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I agree with the other posters. Slow and steady, day by day. Slow, steady movements. Overtime, your tort learns thst those monster arms and legs are not out to eat him, BUT are there to provide daily warm baths, and food and water, a safe haven. Our sully is now 2.5 years old, and seeks us out for a good head rub, and back scratch. Time, slow confident movements, and patience pays off in the long run.

Good luck!