Hand feeding

Marcus Harrison

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hello,

Today, as I was putting my tort's food dish down, I dropped some of her leaves. I picked it up and she ran over and ate it out of my fingers. I decided to pick another piece up and try it again and she just kept eating it off my hands. Just wondering, it's not a problem if I do this every so often is it? I think it will make her like me more for sure haha.

Thanks a lot.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some see a problem with it others don't. I don't see a problem with it and do it all the time. Not on a daily basis that could get them to only eat that way but I say go for it once in a while.

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
Alright, thanks. It's hilarious watching her eat and to be honest it will only improve her opinion of me. I won't do it daily. Thanks a lot

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
We do lots of hand feeding at our house.

IMG_3828_zpss2evq3af.jpg

Personally, I think it is a good practice. It makes physical examinations much easier and it gets the kids excited and involved with tortoise care.

IMG_3832_zpsaiwi1plr.jpg

Please excuse the blurry photos.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As long as you're careful about your fingers, it's probably ok. My sister's sulcata caused her to have to have stitches in a finger because the sulcata chomped down on her finger and wouldn't let go. I offer treats to my 200lb aldabran tortoises off of a skewer just for that reason. Tortoises don't know the difference between the food in your hand and your hand, so just be careful.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I hand feed Oli, and I enjoy it. But at the same time I'd like to point out that if a tort gets used to being hand-fed, it could become a "life-sentence" for the owner. So take care here.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I hand feed treats, but not all of the time. Also you need to be really careful because they will keep chomping right down to your fingers. I got an impressive blood blister when Vern caught me once.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I was giving Speedy a grape leaf yesterday and he almost got me !
t3603.gif
Woo Hoo !! I aughta know better !
t3602.gif

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Marcus, we have four Aldabras that will eventually weigh in the 400-500 pound range, & we definittely want them to be friendly enough to eat out of our hands! Two of them will eat Mazuri from a spoon, which is pretty funny to watch, & all of them are getting used to our hands.

Ken

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
Yeah I'll definitely do it every so often. Not all the time because I don't want her to become too dependant on me but sounds like fun

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Yeah, found that out the hard way she got me a couple of times, no blood so it's fine, just got to be careful as you say
My tort accidentally nipped me when I was hand feeding her and it bled. Now every time there's a full moon I turn into a weretortoise. I always wake up normal the next morning except for the weeds stuck between my teeth. ;) :p :)